Want Lap RNY to Lap DS revision

Monique A.
on 2/5/11 8:04 am - NY
My surgeon does not do Lap DS. My current BMI is 40 prior to Lap RNY was 52. Ive regained about 25lbs. I went back to the original surgeon to find out why I have regained 25lbs. I eat then 1-1.5hrs later I am hungry again. Just had upper gi + endoscopy which reveal "mild pouch and stoma dilatation" surgeon thinks I am not a good candidate for Rose or stomaphyx since stomach is not large enough to work with. I am in a bind since he is telling me to "get back on track".  I went a year ago for consult for stomaphyx and this boobed said the dame thing. Its a whole 12 months later and I am still the same weight. lost 8 lbs regained it back. Clearly just that is the problem but how will "getting back on track" amount to a 100lbs weight loss.
I am so frustrated. I dont want to be shut down so fast. I know me and I know without the tool of the  revision 75-100 bs weight loss is not gonna happen. what do I do? I am waiting to hear from
Dr. Greenbaum for revision to DS?what are my options people?  a lapband on top or revision to long limb RNYGBS.  or Just do the revision to DS.

Btw I get really wicked hypogylemic events from dumping 2 hours after eating probably once every 6 weeks or so with glucose down to the 20-30's.
idk.... Help!!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/11 3:01 am - San Jose, CA
Two of the best DS revision surgeons (Rabkin and Keshishian) do NOT do laparoscopic revisions - they are done open, because they consider them safer that way.  Greenbaum trained on the DS with Rabkin, and I think he does whatever revisions he does do (and he had stopped taking DS revision patients last year, and was recommending ERNY or something like it instead) open as well.  Gagner in Montreal does lap DS revisions, but I think he tends to recommend two part surgeries.

ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS especially if you are going to travel for a consult!.
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/11 12:50 pm

Mcullum,

I'm sort of in the same bind as you.

In 2005 I had lap RNY gastric bypass. At 5' 3" I weighed around 250 lbs., which put my BMI at 44.2.
I lost 125 lbs. and was doing well. I had some unexpected health issues regarding my adrenal function, however, and in 2009 I went on a steroid to treat this problem. I was on Cortef, which is hydrocortisone.

Anyway, a bunch of awful things happened: My insurance dropped my doctor of twelve years, I had to find a new PCP and all the doctors I saw were useless. I ended up staying on the Cortef, and without a doctor to help me, I was making my own medical decisions. I kept raising the dose thinking that I needed more and more. At one point I was taking 70 mgs., I was told (much, much later) that the human body typically puts out about the equivalent of 15 to 20 mgs.!

In addition to all this, there was a problem with my hypothyroidism, and it's only been recently that it's been under control.

It's been two years since then. I finally found a great doctor almost a year ago, I'm just about weaned off the Cortef, and my thyroid problem is finally under control, as I just mentioned.

But the Cortef took a huge toll on my health. For one thing, because it interferes with calcium aborption, and I already don't absorb calcium, my teeth began falling apart. I had $10,000 worth of repair! Eight root canals and two extractions, all at once! I had constant infections and fevers, thanks to the steroid lowering my immune system. I was sick all the time, and ended up housebound and bedridded.

As a result I have gained back all my lost weight except 20 lbs. and now weigh 230 lbs and have a BMI of 40. That's not super bad, but I didn't have my guts rearranged just to get fat again! I too struggle with constant hunger, I feel like everything I eat passes out of my stomach/pouch too fast. I always feel like my pouch is empty. I don't know how much of it is related to the Cortef, or if my pouch and/or stoma has stretched. I haven't had my pouch and stoma looked at yet.

I have really bad B12 anemia. I have to give myself a shot every 3-4 days or I'm in trouble, and like you, I have terrible reactive hypoglycemia. It's an almost daily occurance for me.

I'm leaning toward a DS revision. But I'm scared. What if something goes wrong during surgery? What if I'm ill and laid up for weeks afterwards? I've been laid up for 2 years already. What if I die??? What if I have bad nutrition problems? What if I end up gaining all my weight back again?

It's a big decision to make, but I don't think I can relose this weight on my own, and none of the other possible revisions, like putting a band around my pouch, sound like the right answer.

Keep us all posted, I'd like to know how things turn out for you.

Lynda

sosoclark
on 2/8/11 4:13 am - Sacramento, CA
I had my revision done with Dr. K in CA and it was done open. I'm not sure if anyone does a revision from RNY to DS lap. Anyway so far I am down 46 pounds and very happy with the results I am getting.

Sophia

Most Active