So.... Does the RNY stop working???

Prtyblkbtrfly D.
on 2/4/11 10:50 am - Jackson, MS
I've been lurking around for the last couple of days and I've read in quite a few place that the malabsorption component of the RNY resolves itself. So considering this.....am I now only semi restricted and absorbing all that passes through these lips???

And if so, how long does the DS remain effective?

Darchell

Ladytazz
on 2/4/11 3:24 pm
Yes, the malabsorption of calories does decrease with the RNY but the malabsorption of vitamins and minerals is forever.
With the DS you will always malabsorb calories although I think it lessens to some degree as the intestines adapt. You also would always malabsorb nutrients.
MsBatt
on 2/5/11 3:30 am
There are two kinds of malabsorption---that of MACROnutrients, as in calories, and that of MICROnutrients, as in vitamins and minerals. The malabsorption of micronutrients is forever, hence the need to always take vitamins.

With the RNY, there's not a lot bypassed, so yes, the gut does tend to overcome the malabsorption of calories, usually within the first 18-24 months. With the DS, MOST of your gut is bypassed, so it's really hard for the gut to overcome that. Also, in the DS the bilio-pancreatic limb is made quite long, which causes DSers to only absorb about 20% of the fat we eat. Because fat cannot be absorbed until it's been emulsified by bile, and after the DS all your bile is traveling down the BP limb until roughly the last 100 cms of you small intestine, it's impossible for the gut to overcome fat malabsorption. I'm sure that over time, DSers DO absorb more of their protein and complex carbs than we do right after surgery, when we're only absorbing about half of them. (Simple carbs are absorbed 100% by EVERYBODY, alas.)

You are *probably* still malabsorbing some of the fat your eat, and a little of the protein and complex carbs---just not much.

As for how long the DS malabsorption lasts---no one really knows about the protein and complex carb thing. I'd love to see a study done, but I can see where that would be difficult. I'm seven years out, and I KNOW I'm still malabsorbing a LOT, because if I don't eat 120 grams of protein a day, my levels fall. And I see fat in the potty every morning. (*grin*)
smileyjamie72
on 2/8/11 6:25 am - Palmer, AK

Here are some GREAT & QUALIFIED RNY to DS revision surgeons in the United States:

Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, Dr. Elariny, Dr. Greenbaum, Dr. Husted.

Hope that helps!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active