My intro. Seeking revision from RNY to DS.

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/11 8:55 am

For those of you who might have seen this over at the DS board, yes, I copied and pasted it here. What can I say? I'm lazy.

Anyway...

My name is Lynda. I'm 43 years old and I live in Provo, Utah. I've been married half my life to a wonderful, caring and supportive husband. I have four kids: my son, 23; a daughter, 17; another daughter, 14; and my youngest son, age 9.

I've been a stay-at-home mom for most of my mothering career, though I was a daycare provider for a good portion of it. I have aspirations to become a writer. I'm currently enrolled in a year-long writing course that I do over the internet, and I hope in the next couple of years to go back to college and finish my degree. I have just two years left.

Nineteen years ago my goal was to become an RN, like my mother. But that is not for me. Though I'm fascinated by the human body and medicine, and though I feel like a have quite a bit of knowledge about medicine, I'm lousy with anything that requires left-brain thinking (e.g. math and microbiology).

I'm also lousy at grammar, as I'm sure many of you have noticed by now.

I hope to be able to pursue a degree in english literature with some creative writing courses thrown in. I'm very fortunate to have two universities within driving distance: Utah Valley University and Brigham Young University. BYU has a great online program, and the admission policy is very relaxed. So as of this writing, BYU is my choice. The only problem left to tackle? Money. Always money. The world revolves around money.

And then of course I have my health to consider. All of that is detailed in other posts, if anyone is interested. It's been quite an adventure, to put it mildly.

My entire family is great with words, rotten with numbers. My husband is a techinical writer in the computer industry. His company deals with security issues, such as hacking. My son is enrolled at UVU and is currently pursuing a degree in environmental science. He's about the only one who has an inkling of what math is about. But he is a fantastic writer. My 17 year old daughter is a senior in high school and she's been in honors english for the past two years. She writes very well. My 14 year old daughter has a very vivid imagination. She comes up with the best plot ideas.

So, I ask, with all these great writers in the house, why aren't we millionaires???

Well, I think that about covers things for now. I warn everyone, I have a zillion questions about living with DS, and about the revision itself. I know others have suggested that I research the surgery first, before I come here with questions, and I have. I've looked into dsfacts. com and duodenalswitch.com. Both websites are very informative, but they don't tell me what it's like to actually live with the surgery. That's why I'm here. This forum is part of my research.

Please be patient with me. Sometimes I'm blunt and I'm not aware of it. Sometimes I make wry jokes but the meaning is lost when it's in text. Sometimes I whine. It's not attractive...but there it is. I am isolated, I do need to connect with others, I do need support in this journey. I hope to not be a burden on others, however.

I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Thanks for listening,

Lynda

lauralisi
on 2/9/11 9:13 am - Dona Ana, NM
Hi, Lynda,

I had a revision from rny to ds--I'm soooooo happy 
Most Active