Revision vs Work harder

Prtyblkbtrfly D.
on 2/1/11 2:37 pm - Jackson, MS
I am 30 yrs old. Had RNY in 2007. Six weeks out from surgery I lost 40lbs. Over the course of the next 7 to 8 mos I lost another 50 for a total of 82lbs post surgery and about 115 total lost 20+ before actual surgery. I worked out or walked everday after my surgery until @ 9 months out I got pregnant. I gained 30lbs during my pregnancy. I really have not worked hard at losing until I recently joined a program where I work out vigorously 30min 3x a week and I'm walking again. I've only lost 5lbs in three weeks............ I have been having a weird burning sensation in my mid upper abdomen after several test we determined that my gallbladder needs to be removed; Now I am considering a revision since I have to have surgery anyway.

I looked @ dsfacts.com and am considering driving to a different state for a consult, but I am also questioning if my RNY was done correctly to start with. I still have a reasonable amount of restriction (about 4-5 oz), but I don't dump (never have) and not too sure about how much was bypassed.

Seeking advice and to connect with people who have actually had revisions RNY to RNY, RNY to DS, or RNY to band. And to hear about their results.

Also has anyone had a RNY with small results or revisions in MS

Darchell

Ladytazz
on 2/2/11 6:16 am
Not everyone with a RNY dumps. Only about 30% do, so that isn't an indicator of whether or not the surgery was done correctly. As far as bypassing, the malabsorption of calories with the RNY only lasts about 6 months to 2 years so that wouldn't help in maintainance. If you want malabsorption to help you with weight loss and weight maintainance then the DS is the way to go. The most common way for people not to do well with the RNY is either eating too many carbs or snacking and grazing. Sometimes the stoma can stretch and your eating capacity increases. If you didn't lose enough weight with the RNY there isn't much they can do if there is no mechanical problem. If your surgeon talks about bypassing more that would be either a distal RNY or an extended RNY. You are much better off having a DS then going that route.
sosoclark
on 2/3/11 5:25 am - Sacramento, CA
Well, I just had my revision surgery on December 8th of last year and I have lost 45 pounds so far (having a stall currently and haven't lost anything in a week.) My revision was from RNY to DS. Now I am not going to sugar coat anything for you at all. Revisions are very big deals and need to be dealt with by doctors that know what they are doing. Experience is necessary!!!! My Dr. K is a wonderful surgeron and takes great care of his patients.

Was this surgery worth everything I went through??? Right now I am pleased with some of the results of my revision but six weeks ago I wasn't happy. Time brings healing and I thank God for that.

Sophia

Prtyblkbtrfly D.
on 2/4/11 10:21 am - Jackson, MS
Thanks for the input.... Soso What made you get a revision and y weren't you happy? I am considering going to TN or TX for revision right now I'm just researching. I'm not even completely sure that I want to do it. I want to be healthier but I can truly say that I am truly blessed and thankful for my family, friends, and career. The only stress that I have about my weight is that I put upon self and knowing that longterm it may not be healthy.

Darchell

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/11 7:55 pm
I had an RNY is 2000, a RNY revision in 2001 and stopped losing soon after. The DS revison was done in 2008 and I wi**** could have been my first choice back in 2000. But it was just too new and not covered by my insurance.

There is A LOT involved with an RNY to DS revison. As said, you need an experienced surgeon. Check out DS FACTS and do a little more research, come back with some questions etc and make an educated decision. It took me 2 years to finally find the right surgeon for me and too 'really' take a look at my reasons for more surgery.

I didn't want to have to worry about diabetes anymore. I've lost too many family members to the disease and I didn't want to be next. I'm healthier now than when I had the RNY, despite some knee issues etc. I feel great. 

I keep up with my vitamins and bloodwork levels. Eat enough protien and hydrate every day. Sure, I haven't reached goal, but I've had 3 surgeries. So, I've done well. Considering.

But this is just me, everyone does different on the DS, but you WILL lose weight.

If you have any questions, feel free PM me.

Dana
Prtyblkbtrfly D.
on 2/6/11 2:24 pm - Jackson, MS
Thanks 4 the input

Darchell

Most Active