6 yrs. out with 2nd lapband and considering revision but have a few questions

media604
on 2/1/11 10:55 am - GA
Most days I feel I am DONE, really, really DONE with my lapband.I have had the eternal too loose, too tight, never finding the sweet spot, always having to throw up from being too tight to get any weight off thing!

Now, my question: I am considering revisions and thinking of the RNY. Everyone I know in my school system has done great with it and are mostly maintaing weight loss. One exception! My sister who has had her RNY for 8 years has now regained 50 lbs! She is up to 200 lbs. again. She can eat as much as me prior to my lapband! How is this possible and now are her options gone?

This is my worry. What if I fail with the RNY too ? Then what?
all-about-fun
on 2/2/11 12:49 am - Minden, Canada
It is a choice to fail with RNY...
You can choose to over eat or you can choose to follow the rules..
I choose the latter, We don't choose to have surgery to fail.
We choose surgery to live... And food will always be a battle
We can quit smoking but we can't quit eating...

Lynn C
on 2/2/11 3:15 am
IMO - failing with the lapband is different than failing with other surgery's. The Lapband fails not the patient - if you can't find the right restriction and are vomiting or not able to eat the correct foods then how is that failure yours??

Other surgeries proved what the lapband promises right out of the gate, then its up to you to fail or succeed. If you don't change your eating habits (which I have been struggling with) then you don't lose weight or gain it back. When you have a malfunctioning band you never even get to that point.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

MsBatt
on 2/2/11 6:34 am
Research the DS (duodenal switch). It's what people revise to when the RNY doesn't work. Since you still have a fairly 'normal' stomach, save yourself some time and grief and go with the DS NOW instead of later.
_rebecca
on 2/4/11 3:04 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
You might want to take some time to research the sleeve.  I just had my revision from the band to the sleeve.  I love the sleeve.  I have restriction, I have lost 25 pounds (in a month), and I feel great. 
media604
on 2/4/11 3:32 am - GA
Oh my goodness! This makes me so hopeful and happy for you. I can't tell you how long the last 7 years have been with all the up and down, back and forth, constant throwing up! I am 49 now and feel like I have wasted most of my more youthful 40s on this band when I could have been happy!

I would love to talk to you more as I am considering the sleeve. I am so scared the restriction won't be enough and that it will be like the band. I've heard from another member that she felt the restriction with the sleeve was not as much as the band because you know how the band is......when it stops you , you're stopped! The only way around it is to throw up!

I don't want to lose 60 lbs. and then regain 30. Have you heard more about this and how do you feel? I was actually wondering if I needed to do the whole DS thing at one time? Did you doctor advise you one way or the other about this?
terilynn112
on 2/4/11 8:40 am - maryland, NY
I'm not quite a month post revision from band to RNY and I completely love my RNY, I wish I'd done it first!

I've lost 31 pounds and am not quite a month out... hoping for a few more pounds. I feel great. I am as active, and more than I was before my revision. It was the best thing I've ever done.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Most Active