Revision Scheduled... why am I so scared?

Val~
on 1/30/11 10:46 am
Seriously.... had a botched RNY 10 years ago -  less than 70cm's bypassed, lots of adhesions, lots of pain, lots of issues, little weight loss.  I have a new doctor that is taking great care of me and I should be dancing around happy.

So, how come I am scared out of my friggin mind?

<-- Disregard that data - apparently I am a LOON because I can't figure out how to change it.  
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup!

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 12:44 pm - San Jose, CA
Well, what is he going to revise you TO?  That would be something that would be worrying me!
Val~
on 1/30/11 1:00 pm

He is going to revise my RNY to RNY with a larger bypassed length and clean up all of the adhesions, ulcerations, etc.  My primary focus is to clear the painful bits as it has created a lot of issues for me.  The bypass portion is secondary for me.  

I guess I am just freaked out by some of the stories I am reading.

<-- Disregard that data - apparently I am a LOON because I can't figure out how to change it.  
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup!

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 1:10 pm - San Jose, CA
So he's not going to touch the pouch?  Have you read the stats on ERNY?  To my mind, that's the worst of both worlds - pouch problems AND malabsorption.  You need to talk to people who are LIVING with that surgery.

If he's going to revise the pouch anyway, I would STRONGLY urge you to speak to a DS revision surgeon first. 
Val~
on 1/30/11 1:24 pm
Yes, he is going to make the pouch smaller as well.  I neglected to say that in my previous post.  My apologies.  Thank you for your suggestion, I appreciate it.

lynnw062965
on 1/30/11 12:53 pm

If you're like me, you've probably read all the statistics about higher incidence of leaks, etc., but I am same as you--had a botched "Mini Gastric Bypass" 9 years ago and I want a revision very badly. Good luck to you, and keep your eye on the prize! Are you scheduled for the revision?

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 1:05 pm - San Jose, CA
I would say "botched" and "mini gastric bypass" is like saying Department of Redundancy Department.

Was it Rutledge?
Val~
on 1/30/11 1:07 pm
Yes, scheduled for middle March.  My previous surgeon is no longer taking patients and is semi-retired which I think is a very good thing.  I will try to keep my eye on the prize but I am a realist too.  I know revisions are harder on a person and as a single mom I have to take everything into consideration - my child, my job, what this will mean if something goes wrong...  I guess I am what if-ing myself into a tizzy and just needed to talk to those who have been there or are going through the same thing.

I wish you luck with your revision goal.  :)

terilynn112
on 1/30/11 7:51 pm - maryland, NY
I did the same thing over the single parent thing. And I'm a revision, band to bypass.... and it's been great! i haven't had the same revision you had, but I feel great, and I'm nearly 3 weeks out.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

lynnw062965
on 1/30/11 9:34 pm
It wasn't Rutledge, but the exact same procedure as he does...my surgeon took direction from him. Of course, he's no longer doing that procedure, but he made a boatload of money in the early 2000's. Argh! Do you have a revision surgeon in mind?
Most Active