What exactly IS revision anyway?

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 10:43 am
I am just barely, as in right now, looking into the possibility of a revision. But I really have no idea what a revision entails. Is it switching to DS? Is it that other surgery where they go down your esophogus? I'm really lost and confused here.

BTW, all my info is on my long, long post about my steroid fiasco.

Lynda
terilynn112
on 1/30/11 7:53 pm - maryland, NY
A revision is any correction to, or redo on a existing surgery.

I revised from Lapband to RNY and I love it... down 30 pounds since surgery!

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 10:04 pm
I'm sorry you've had so many problems. I read your steroid story, and I know how tough it must be. My mom gained a lot of weight when she was put on similar drugs.

Revision surgery is when a surgeon has to go back in and correct a problem with your wls. When a patient has regained there are many procedures that can be offered to regain the restriction of the pouch. An example would be the rose procedure or the addition of a lapband. Another option could be to have a distal bypass (AKA extended RNY) to produce more malabsorbtion.

From the research I have done and discussing these issues here on obesityhelp, I would not recommend any of these options. Generally speaking  when a patient fails with a RNY the best course for revision is to convert to the duodenal switch (DS). This is a higher risk procedure because a surgeon much reverse the pouch and RNY limb before converting you to the DS. If you look into this procedure and think it's what will work for you, then you would need to seek a highly skilled revision expert. You can't just go to anyone for this type of revision.

I see your RNY surgeon is in Utah. Do you live in salt lake city? If this is the case, then you will likely have to travel out of state to see a revision expert. It will be well worth it. I am seeing Dr. keshishian soon in southern california. Keshishian and Rabkin (northern ca) are considered two of the greatest ds and revision surgeons.

I would highly recommend that you post your situation on the ds forum on here. They are a friendly bunch and have been very helpful to me. I wish you all the best.

Here are some sites I would recommend going to.

http://www.dsfacts.com/
www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active