Another Question... (dont hate me)

CindyLyn
on 1/29/11 4:19 am - Evadale, TX
My husband is asking me a lot of question about me wanting a revision.  He just asked me this question and I honestly couldn't answer him because I haven't thought about this part while doing my research..
When going from a Band to a sleeve do you have it removed in one surgery... wait a while and then have the Sleeve?  I am ashamed that I didn't even think of that part.... Anyway I look forward to all of your input... Thank you all for tolerating my multitude of questioning... I just want to get this done the right way this time.

Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.  August 16, 2011

Hislady
on 1/29/11 5:53 am - Vancouver, WA
This isn't much of an answer for you but some do and some don't, how's that for a great answer. So actually you would have to ask your surgeon how he prefers to do it.
keenergel
on 1/29/11 6:37 am - OH
Be careful.  I converted from a VBG to a VSG and they could not get all of the band out.  It will leave you with limited options if the band ulcerates as mine did.  They are talking total gastrectomy due to the lack of stomach left to work with from the sleeve if they have to excise more to get the rest of the band.
Stephanie_Texas
on 1/29/11 8:29 am - TX
Hi there - I cant speak for all surgeons I think it depends on the cir****tance why you are having the band removed - are there complications etc.
For myself my band had slipped 2 times / First time it was replaced / 2nd time It created a Esophageal Hernia and the Dr said it has to be removed. ( mind you I had my band for almost 6 yrs  lost a total of 90 lbs and then stopped losing)  I had not met my gola weightt - my original surgeon just was not interested in helping me so I sought out another surgeon.

But to answer your question - I had the band removed and the sleeve done  and the HErnia repaired-  all at the same time - it was very easy....no issues, 45 min surgery max ---this was a year and 1/2 ago - the first 3 weeks I lost 25 lbs - which is to be expected you cant eat much - then downhill from there on.....NOT good results - I have gained 50 lbs since the sleeve.

Here is what I suggest  - talk to as many people on here as you can - then talk to your Doctor about all the options for a revision - then do some soul searching - you know your body more then anyone - I wanted to have the RYN - I know my body I needed something more then a small stomach- My surgeon was just sure that the sleeve would be the answer and really didn't want to talk about other options. There are a few things I have recently found out
1. If you have had any type of previous weight loss surgery you have a higher rate of the 2nd surgery not being successful
2nd the sleeve gives you no restriction like the band / It is suppose to suppress your appetite but in a small percentage of people that have had a previous weight loss surgery this does not happen. ( I feel into that %)  None of this was told to me by my Surgeon - I found it out by going back just 2 weeks ago to the "nutritionist" at his office and to make sure my sleeve had not Stretched - which he said it had not-  ( he did the wexray/ swallow thing) then why no weight loss? I still dont know - I think itis because I am able to eat whatever I want  ( which is why most people are fat - right?) and the sleeve even though apprx 75% of my stomach was removed was no the answer for me.
I personally wish Still had the band - I wish I had just had it replaced again ( even for a 3rd time) at least I was maintaining my weight and not gaining - With this sleeve it is like I never had weight loss surgery. I wonder if you can get the band on top of the sleeve? :-)

This is not to discourage you but to say please do a lot of research and talking to different surgeons. I am sure there are others out there that have had success with the revision from band to sleeve...we are all different so do the research and follow what your heart tells you to do- I think you will be more successful that way. Best of luck
Stephanie
May we all become the person we hope to be - may our goals be achieved and our dreams come true

Jerimiah 29:11
CindyLyn
on 1/29/11 11:16 am - Evadale, TX
Stephanie.... thank you so much for your honest account of your situation.  I think sometimes other WLS people want to be encouraging by not telling bad things that have happened to them. 
This is my situation.  I had my band placed on 2/15/08.  I did really good  until my second fill...  One day I would be great the next I couldn't keep water down.  When I finally got an appointment to tell him I really needed something done (test or something)  I got a letter in the mail about a week before my appt saying that Dr. Hahn was closing his practice in TX to move to WI... I never got to see him again.  He took my records with him.  Sooo... no other Dr in my area would take any of his patients... I found one place that would do fills and unfills... They wouldn't take my insurance (federal blue cross) so everytime I walked through their doors for anything I had to drop $150.  I got them to do an unfill but they said they would not do a complete unfill.... because they wanted to keep making cash I guess.  Anyway, I have been without aftercare for over 2 yrs.  I cannot get get any type of solid protein down unless I put it in the food processor and even then I still struggle to get it down.  I feel like there is constantly something sitting in my throat.   I was thinking more of the sleeve because my issue is constant hunger.  I worry that RNY is too drastic for me.  I don't know that I would do well with malabsorbtion.  I have been researching VSG and Bypass for about a year now.   I hope you find the solution you are looking for.  I will keep you in  my prayers.  I know you understand the stress this WLS thing can put on us!!!!  I hope you have a bless evening.
airbender
on 1/30/11 8:31 am
what you feel is actually much more common than you think, lap band to sleeve many pts have no restriction and actually gain weight.  I understand your pain, especially with band complications like you had the sleeve was not a good choice for you, you did not fail.  the feeling of restriction that you felt with the band is permanently gone.  since you have a sleeve consider looking into the DS, not for everyone but a lap band patient with complications to a sleeve, your surgeon should have told you statistically you chances of gaining weight were very high. i understand wanting anohter band, the beast you know, but it would have just been a matter of time as the band is not a permanent solution. I wish you well, and I feel your pain, and hope you find some peace, don't give up, there are other options.. ..
Michelle F.
on 1/29/11 3:04 pm
Stephanie your story scares me but I'm glad you posted it.  Most people I know have had success having the sleeve revision after band removal, but I have heard some like you who don't have restriction, and I'm terrified that will happen to me.

Good luck to you with your revision Cindy, I hope you make the right decision, keep asking questions!
star1_13_80
on 1/30/11 7:24 am - HOUSTON, TX
This is the first time I heard of this happening ...OMG ......this scares me too . I am a self pay and i dont have or want to give away money ......the band worked for me  for 4 years  and  lost 105 gained 25 after unfill ...do to weak esophagus . I was on the fence about getting the VSG but now  I starting to wonder if I need to climb off the fence and take a step back .

How can someone gain weight after having 75% of there stomach removed ? ...omg .
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/30/11 4:14 am - Mexico
You need a seriously good REVISION surgeon, not just your standard issue bariatric surgeon.

When they remove the band (and with the lap band it can absolutely be 100% removed) there is a lot of scarring and adhesions. That scarring needs to be removed or you will be left with a very large sleeve.

I am over 2.5 years post op from my revision surgery and I can eat a max of 3oz of dense protein or 5oz of soft proteins. But, I went to a revision surgeon.

If you do not have a slip or erosion the Standard of Care in the US and MX (not sure of other countries) is to remove the band and revise to sleeve in the same surgery. Some surgeons just aren't able to do this and they make you go through two surgeries.

If you have a slip or erosion it is best to remove the band, wait a few months and then go back to do the sleeve.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
StillHopefulinAZ
on 1/30/11 8:09 am
I was band to RNY.  I had to have 2 surgeries.  I of course would have preferred one, but at time of the band removal my surgeon was not comfortable doing the revision at that time (and he does a lot of revisions).  I had to wait 3 months and even when I went in for that he told me he may not be able to do the RNY and if he couldn't he would do the sleeve.  I was just happy to be having another chance.  My advice, find a good revision surgeon in your area.   
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

Most Active