Lapband to Sleeve? Sitting here sad, need advice!

time-4-change
on 1/26/11 11:56 pm
Hi All!  I am not new to OH but did set up a new account today!  Wish I had stayed in touch over the last 4 years and maybe I wouldn't be sitting here feeling the way I do.  A bit of history: I received my Lap Band on Dec 13, 2006...4 years ago... and was completely happy for about 18 months.  I was losing slowly but was losing and was certainly not gaining.  Then my sister and her children moved in with us and the stress began!  I not only stopped losing but started to slowly gain.  I gained back about 20 lbs but still was able to maintain that until last fall when I was tired of throwing up and was afraid that all the vomiting from a band that was too tight was causing damage to my stomach...so, I had the saline removed for a month and was that one heck of an idea!  Even now with the saline back in, I am having trouble getting my hunger and eating under control! I am back to pre-surgery weight and am back to the old...I'll diet tomorrow cycle...(the thing that I hated most before surgery).  I am considering the Gastric Sleeve and need to hear from folks that have had the sleeve and mostly from folks who have had the Revision.  Am I doomed to be a Fatty or do you think this will work?  I am sitting here in tears and need your advice.  Thanks~Barb aka time-4-change

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/27/11 12:47 am - Mexico
Thing is... with a sleeve it is basically like a band that actually works. If you don't make the right food choices you won't do well with a sleeve. This really is a lifestyle change. Please understand, I get the whole band saga, BTDT. But if you don't improve food choices with a sleeve you will be here again in another 4 years.

If you can make the lifestyle changes needed even through stressful times the sleeve is mega fantastic.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
time-4-change
on 1/27/11 12:59 am

Thanks for the reply!  You are right...it is about choices!  What made you decide to get your revision?  Was it a health issue or did you just like the idea of a new and improved option?  Sounds like you are happy with it.  Do you mind giving me your pros and cons?
Thanks...Barb

bluek
on 1/28/11 2:10 am - Austin, TX

Hi there,

I'm kind of in a similar situation.  Seem to have endless problems with  my band, although it worked great for the first year.  I already self-paid for a revision to the AP band after I had a hiatal hernia, but it really didn't change anything.

I am considering revision to the sleeve, but only if insurance will pay for it, which is my newest research!  I have UHC and bariatric surgery IS covered for BMI over 35... I am still trying to figure out if they cover revisions, especially since my BMI is under 35.  If anyone knows more about this, I'd certainly appreciate the insight! 

ckb70
on 1/28/11 8:45 am - Morrisville, PA
Hi there...
I had my band in 3/09 and have only lost 40 lbs and have started to gain it back. I had been throwing up everyday and some days I would throw up liquid.  My dr retired and I went to see a new surgeon yesterday, he said that my upper GI showed a blockage and took all the fluid out and said the band had to come out.  There are a few things that could happen...1. he takes the band out and sees that there is too much damage and will leave me with nothing.  2. sees that there is damage and it will need a year to heal before a new surgery can take place. 3. sees that he is able to give me the sleeve and does so after removing the band. My insurance covers revision even if it is a clinical failure but you have to start the process all over again, physc evaluation and nutrition classes..etc.  I'm not a clinical failure but a technical failure so I'm hoping that they will approve me with out all that hooha stuff.  I have to have another upper GI in 6 weeks and an endoscopy after that. 

I had my day of tears yesterday but today I feel so much better...have not thrown up once!  Good luck to you!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/28/11 9:03 am - Mexico
I had to revise because of severe malnutrition. I was never able to eat normally, many food intolerances. Then I couldn't get any solids down at all with an unfilled band and was on thin, room temp, protein shakes for 4 months. I was not willing to gain and then revise to a different surgery type so I had a revision at goal.

The sleeve is basically like a band that actually works.

As for BlueK... no ins will pay to revise you to a different surgery type with a BMI under 35/40.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Kay L.
on 2/4/11 5:15 am
Band was a waste of time for me, from what I read the sleeve is the same story. I switched to RNY and happy I did. Good Luck, Kat
Most Active