From Band to Bypass???

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/26/11 1:40 am - Mexico
Bypass doesn't malabsorb most of your calories, it depends on how much intestine is bypassed. Also, it does not malabsorb white carbs, no surgery type does.

And, with bypass you'll only malabsorb calories for a couple of years at best and then you will really only malabsorb a bit of fat and nutrition for life. You will absorb all the calories.

So it's a trade off, possibly faster weight loss for a lifetime of nutritional issues, supplements, possible reactive hypoglycemia, bowel obstruction, dumping, etc.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
jenrich
on 1/26/11 1:32 pm - Bridgeport, TX
That is Crazy Small world LOL well I go tomorrow for my first meeting on the 6month program so I have plenty of time to think about it all I am just nervous that the sleeve will fail for me as the lap did but I could be soooo wrong its just nerve racking of thinking to go through the process all over again and failing.. I am mostly miserable all the time it is nearly impossible for me to diet right now with this dang thing in my tummy I really hate it because then I turn to things that make me feel fool and they are ushually not the healthy things if you all know where i am coming from so I am really excited about the revision I just want to be sure and chose the one that is right for me.. Thanks for helping me figure out all this stuff I really apprecitate it:)
terilynn112
on 1/27/11 7:56 am - maryland, NY
I am two weeks post op for a band to RNY revision. I have to say I love my rny! I have had NO hunger! None!

I had a slipped band. It had slipped mildly a couple times. Mostly I had some intolerances with the band. Pain upon eating/drinking.

I'm still on the liquid stage, which is longer with the bypass than the band. Next week I go to puree's on tuesday. I only will because it's where I'm supposed to go. Not because I am hungry. I feel great. I'm already down...... drum roll please..... 26 pounds as of today. The most I ever lost with the band was around that 30 pound mark, and I had it two years, 3 months, 25 days. I'd given it more than a college try.

The weirdest thing is, the gas rumblings that I have... am about to head over to the rny board to ask about that. A girl I know locally had her primary wls (also an rny) on the same day, started it today too.

Seriously the best choice I ever made!

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

deborah N.
on 1/28/11 4:27 am - Bellmore, NY
 may i ask how long do u need to wait for a revision, i had lap band almost 8 months ago and im always feling hungy and im doing what i am supposed to its just rediculous.. i was originally going to have the rny but chose not to and now im just wondering if i made the wrong decion... i lost 72 pounds in the first 5 months and nothing since basically! 

any suggestions would be great thabks and good luck to everyone!! 
debbie

Pregnancy%20ticker

terilynn112
on 1/28/11 7:23 am - maryland, NY
i had to wait two years.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

CindyLyn
on 1/29/11 11:33 am - Evadale, TX
My insurance (Federal Blue Cross) makes you wait 2 yrs. 
nikonshooter
on 1/30/11 12:25 am - Ventura County, CA
Hi Jennie,

I am a band revision to DS just shy of three months ago. I'd be happy to share my experience with you. Just PM me if you are interested.

Best of luck!
Most Active