Open Revison RNY?

leighfrances9
on 1/24/11 12:28 pm - GA
 Hi All!
My first post on this site and I'm glad I've found this "place".  

I had an open GB RNY in May 2003 starting at 320 lbs.  My lowest was 190 and I am now 260.  I've gained most of my weight within the past year as I had some emotional eating issues I was dealing with.  I have a date for a revision surgery March 3rd with Dr. John Huse in Indiana.
I have a few questions for anyone who can help:

- For those who have had revisions: do you think it's worth it?  Are you satisfied the second time around?
- Since my original surgery was open, I am now told I HAVE to have an open revision.  I REALLY would like a laparoscopic because of the low risk, but wanted to know if anyone has had the same issue?
- Thoughts on recovery time of a revision?

Thanks so much!

Leigh
Renfairewench
on 1/24/11 10:43 pm
What surgery are you thinking of revising to?

I revised from RNY to DS. It's a huge surgery and I was told that it would be open that the surgeon did not do revisions lap due to the complexity of the surgery.  I was low risk in that I had no serious comorbidities, however, I did end up with a slew of post op complications, a couple which were chronic and lasted 17 months and took another large operation to fix. Revisions are serious business and I highly recommend that you have a vetted surgeon who has done them.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Sharon C.
on 1/25/11 7:43 am - Plano, TX
Leigh,

I had open GB RNY in March 2005.  I am going back to the same surgeon and he told me it would be lap this time.  I was happy because I thought it was going to be open, which I was not excited about.  He said they the revisions are better now with a quicker recovery.   It may be what your surgeon is comfortable with.  You may want to seek a second opinion.  Take care, Sharon
leighfrances9
on 1/25/11 1:41 pm - GA
 Thank you so much for the information!  I appreciate it.  
Bobbie D.
on 1/25/11 4:30 pm
I had a VBG in 2000 and just revised to RNY on 9/1/10. It was open and I was told it was a big surgery. I took my 6 weeks off of work though and took care of me. I'm doing great and am so happy that I took the steps to change my surgery. My band was so tight that my doctor said it was no wonder I couldn't get dense proteins in.

Good luck to you!

Most Active