THANK GOD I Found This Site!!!!!

Frank P.
on 1/23/11 10:23 pm - Aylesford, Canada
  I thought I was alone... Please tell me I am NOT alone... I had a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty done in 1993. I  lost most all of my weight  ( Went from 510 to 220) and stayed that way for over 10 years, then all of a sudden I started vomitting again..  I survived vomitting NON-stop for over 3 years! I lost so much weight that I started to black out due to lack of Iron in my system.( I went down to 155)  I started aspirating into my lungs and I just about died!!!  FINALLY my surgeon (Who was NOT my initial surgeon, he took over my original surgeon's patients) realized I needed help!!  I went through a total of 12 trips to day surgery before he discovered that I had developed an allergic reaction to the band!!  It had restricted my throat down to the size of a pencil lead! He took out the band and I went throught a long recovery period.. Finally.... I got my life back to normal!! ..(After about 5 or 6 years!)  Now comes the sad part... I am sad to say I have gained all my weight back. (I know, I know..I kick my self every day) I went back to the clinic where they did me to see if they would revise me and they flat out REFUSED.( I was NOT there problem) I was told to go see my old surgeon (Who is semi-retired)..  I finally tracked him down, got an appt. and he says he will try and help me!!!!   HOOORAY!!!!   Am I the only one with this kind of a story?? I am new to this site  FYI...
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/11 12:41 am - San Jose, CA

WHY would you go back to your semi-retired surgeon?  Make sure you see someone who understands the value of the newest procedures, and how to do them!

If you are at or near 500 lbs again, you would be IMHO foolish to consider anything other than the DS.

Adena
on 1/24/11 2:02 am - washington, dc
 I was instructed to go to my original retired surgeon (RNY_2001) also??  I have gained 60 lbs. I have heard the DS is much better and since I have absorbtion issues is a consideration. Many MD's do not do the DS revision. How did you find your surgeon
Adena
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/11 2:06 am - San Jose, CA
I didn't have a revision, but if you are looking into a DS revision, I suggestion you come over to the DS forum, and check out www.DSFacts.com.  There are VERY few qualified DS revision surgeons, and you should be VERY careful whom you use.  Most surgeons will lure you in by saying they do the DS, and then attempt to convince you that a surgery they CAN do is good enough.  We call them "bait-and-don't-switch" surgeons.
Frank P.
on 1/24/11 3:44 am - Aylesford, Canada
  Well a DS revision may be interesting however the nearest one is1000 miles away from me, and I would prefer to have someone near me who can follow my progress...Are you saying that all revisions do not work?? Or just certain ones? It was explained to me that they had a problem with the VBS surgery but since I had my surgery done (In 1993) the procedures have changed and I should have had the sleeve surgery! Now I am confused, can anyone with the sleeve surgery give me their opinion??
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/11 4:41 am - San Jose, CA
The sleeve surgery, even if you were a VIRGIN to WLS, is contraindicated by your extreme weight.  You are FAR too heavy to be able to expect remotely acceptable results, either initially or especially long term, with just a sleeve.

Check out this thread, and the references cited: Topic: another band to sleeve question

Do you want to marry Mr. Right, or Mr. Right Now?  This is likely your last chance to get an effective WLS.  Many DSers have to travel to get surgery, and for a revision, you want ONLY the best.  I would suggest you contact Dr. Gagner in Montreal, or perhaps one of the doctors who practice with Dr. Picard Marceau (I don't know about Dr. Court as a revision surgeon):

Quebec

Laurent Biertho, MD
Simon Biron, MD
Frédéric-Simon Hould, MD
Odette Lescelleur, MD
Stéfane Lebel, MD
Picard Marceau, MD
Simon Marceau, MD
Laval Hospital
2725, Chemin Ste-Foy
Quebec, PQ GIV 4G5
Phone: 418-656-4810

Olivier Court, MD *
McGill University Health Centre
Royal Victoria Hospital
Bariatric Program, Room S 6.24
687 Pine Ave. West
Montreal, PQ H3A 1A1
Phone: 514-934-1934 or 1-866-263-4414 toll free
Fax: 514-843-1693
Web Site: Oliver Court, MD

Michel Gagner, MD, FRCSC, FACS *
Email: [email protected]

Clinique Michel Gagner MD, Inc.
315 Place d'Youville, Suite 191
Montreal, QC H2Y 0A4

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/11 8:01 pm - Bayonne, NJ
THE VBG has a very high failure rate, so it's no surprise you need a revision. However, I had a combination of an RNY with a VBG and needed a revision, too. I vomitied constantly, so I know what you're going through. You really ought to look into the DS for long-term weight loss. It's harder to get the weight off the second time and the DS offers the best weight loss statistics. Converting to the sleeve is the hard part, so going for the full DS, even if you have to travel, is worth it!
Most Active