Revision from RNY to DS because of diabetes?

Mary Catherine
on 1/22/11 5:19 am
 Is there anyone whose diabetes was not resolved with RNY, but was resolved after revision to DS?  
How hard is it to get insurance approval for a RNY patient who is at normal weight to get a revision?
airbender
on 1/22/11 7:30 am

yes there are, sugges post ing this on the DS forum.

Why are you seeking approval from RNY to DS via insurance?  if there is no medical necessity then it would not be covered, if it is to get diabetes cured by DS  this will not qualify as you can manage that with medication, food modification, and exercise

hope you find the answers you are looking for.....

JoanneK
on 2/2/11 7:43 am - CA
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 8:21 am - San Jose, CA
I am astonished and dismayed to see this.  The DS has the BEST long-term results for CURING type 2 diabetes.  And your surgeon is Belzberg, who actually has DONE the DS - in fact, he has done a couple recently where SoCal Kaiser patients won their DMHC appeals to FORCE Kaiser to provide them with a DS.  So when Kaiser lost, they got Belzberg to do them - which didn't make either of the patients happy, because Belzberg doesn't have that much experience - certainly not compared with Keshishian.  Nevertheless, they did OK.

SO - why the **** would Belzberg tell you he wants to revise your perfectly good sleeve - which is the first step of the DS anyway! - and mutilate into a pouch, to give you a surgery with a far poorer rate of ameliorating your diabetes???  And a surgery with a far poorer rate of maintenance of weight loss???  And a surgery which, when weight is regained, often the diabetes COMES BACK!?!?!  Why not just add the switch to what you already have and FIX IT???

Belzberg has had to do that before - a patient who was one of the two outliers in the last 6.5 years of DMHC decisions, who got a sucky non-bariatric surgeon reviewer, who said the VSG would be good enough for her.  Belzberg gave her a VSG, and then a year later, with predictably lousy results, she had to go through the whole process of appealing again, only this time she won, and Belzberg ended up doing the switch for her.

As long as you have enough insulin producing tissue left in your pancreas (the odds of which deteriorate the longer you have diabetes), there is a chance of CURE of your diabetes with the DS.  With the RNY, notsomuch.
JoanneK
on 2/2/11 9:55 am - CA
DO NOT bad mouth Belzberg to me!!  He is a wonderful man and does the best for ALL of his patients.  You have no idea what is going on so you may think about finding first before you start talking!  I'm off this board now!!  Too many know it all"s and I've only been on here 2 days.  Think before you speak next time!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 10:04 am, edited 2/2/11 10:04 am - San Jose, CA
< shrugs >  Whatevah.  You were warned - what you do with that information is up to you.
JoanneK
on 2/2/11 10:39 am - CA
You need to get a life and quit bad mouthing things on here!!  These people are new and you need to be supporting instead of negative.  I DON"T need to be warned....I know exactly what I'm doing and I don't need your opinion!!  Shruggs to you too *****!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 10:42 am - San Jose, CA
Buh bye, and good luck with letting your surgeon dictate what is best for you.  Some others here may wish to do things differently, and THAT is what I support.
Most Active