So, my surgeon was right...

shana lewis
on 1/20/11 5:03 am - TX
When I got my RNY is 2007, the first surgeon left my pouch too damn big!
I had my endoscopy done on Monday the 17th, and it showed waht he had told me in the office the friday before; that the intestine has strecheted to become a "New" stomach; he will remove the "Old" stomach from the first surgery as it can become very cancerous, if it is not already...

I have gained back almost 50 pounds, I have no dumping anymore and I can eat almost full meals...
I wi**** was done right the first time and I wouldnt have to start this process again...

Im waiting on approval from United now..the doc and his team told me United is good about approving the surgery...
I hope so...
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/11 5:38 am - San Jose, CA

If you are going to have this drastic a surgery, why not get revised to a DS instead?

Once he removes your "old stomach" (by which I assume he means the unused distal portion of your stomach, the pylorus, the duodenum and proximal jejunum), you will have no more options.  Why not put your stomach back together and get a sleeve instead, and then the metabolism-improving DS intestinal rearrangement?

Why does he think your old stomach "can become very cancerous" -- whatever that means?  The unused distal portion of the stomach can get cancer and can't be scoped, but why does he think in might already be cancerous?  With the DS, of course, this problem doesn't exist, AND you have the benefit of a more normally functioning stomach and pyloric valve, and less B12 and iron malabsorption.

shana lewis
on 1/20/11 6:03 am - TX
I was wondering if I could get the sleeve- he never mentioned it though...
He told me that in some cases, the unused portion of the "old" stomach that is left in the body after RNY can develop cancer cells....

How is the sleeve working for you?
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/11 6:21 am - San Jose, CA

Most surgeons can't do a pouch to sleeve revision - you need a qualified revision surgeon.  Shame on him for not telling you it was an option, just because he doesn't do it (unless there was another reason).

If the risk of developing cancer was a reason to not leave the unused portion in the body, WHY would all RNY surgeons not remove it as part of the original surgery??  This sounds very strange to me.

RNY to sleeve alone is probably not a good idea -- if you've already failed a slightly malabsorptive surgery, why would you think a restriction only surgery would work?

I have a full DS.  It works great.

Emily F.
on 1/21/11 2:43 am
That does not sound quite right. I've never heard of removing the actual stomach bc of cancer risk??!??
MsBatt
on 1/30/11 6:28 am
On January 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM Pacific Time, Emily F. wrote:
That does not sound quite right. I've never heard of removing the actual stomach bc of cancer risk??!??
Actually, some people, even non-WLS people, DO have their stomach removed because of cancer risk. There's a genetic test for a bad gene that promotes stomach cancer, and there's a whole extended family I read about who did just that---had their stomachs removed because they carried the gene for this high-mortality cancer.

I know this because my significant other was really worried for a while, after his father had 95% of his stomach removed because of cancer.

Ain't science wonderful? (*grin*)
Michelle H.
on 1/21/11 3:35 am - Canada
I think, personally, it is time to find a new surgeon.

I am an RNY TO DS revision and I was NEVER told that my blind stomach would/could develop cancerous cells.
Michelle
My is Debbie M.......I am to lo24 (Louisa)
RNY 338- 185.  Regain to SW260 CW 236 GW 150ish?

MARIA F.
on 1/21/11 6:49 am - Athens, GA
Don't depend on a Dr. to give u options for other WLS's that he does not perform. DO YOUR RESEARCH! It might be time to consider a different surgeon.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Sharon C.
on 1/22/11 1:46 am - Plano, TX
I got my RNY in 2005 and recently went for a followup visit and my doctor told me the same exact thing.  Its a risk that it can become very canerous and that as a precaution he also recommends removing it.   I think its up to the surgeon and what they are experienced with.  Looks like I am headed down the same path as you so you are in good company. ;-)  My doc told me he recently had a patient in which he removed a very cancerous old stomach.  United is a good plan to have and I am sure you will get approved before you know it.  I use to have United and my first approval was back within a week.  I wish you the best of luck!  Plano, S*
shana lewis
on 1/23/11 7:42 am - TX
Wellhello from plano!!!! we should talk....i have alexander as my doc now!!!
Most Active