Is it worth the risk?

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 2:18 am
I posted two days ago about considering revision from the fobi pouch gastric bypass to the sleeve or DS to correct dumping syndrome (which has gotten worse in the past few months). Dr Keshishian's office will be requesting a pre approval from my insurance.

Even if I am approved, I am very worried about the risks involved with revision. If I had regained then I would not question it, but I am at a normal weight and obviously want to avoid surgery if possible.

One of the problems I have is that I need higher fat content to feel satiety, but I  start dumping when I do this. I have been experimenting with my meals such as mixing 2% dairy with fat free (to increase fat content, but not to a point to make me dump). The problem with this is that it would take like 2-2.5 cups (sometimes more) just to feel full (even if I eat this with eggs and sausage. After that portion I also start to dump obviously). This seems like an insane amount of food to be eating being that I should be eating 1 to 1.5 cups max.

If my issues with dumping syndrome don't improve with  time, I am wondering if it is worth the risk of surgery to correct the issues? I am only 15 months post op and It makes me worried sick thinking of going through such a drastic surgery. Has anyone had this problem and been able to improve it without revision?

Also, has anyone had revision to correct dumping syndrome? I would like to know what revision you had, and if it has fixed your issues.

Thanks a bunch:-)

Ladytazz
on 1/19/11 6:49 am
It all depends on your quality of life. It sounds like yours is pretty bad. I had a revision to improve my quality of life and I am glad I did.
I have heard nothing but good things about Dr.K and I don't think he would revise you if he felt it was too risky. I think if your insurance approves it then you should go for it. If they approve it then obviously that means that they feel a revision is medically necessary. Maybe if you spoke to Dr. K further it would ease your mind. What are you worried about? Complications? Possiblity of death? I would think that at your current BMI your risks are probably lower for surgery in general then when you first had surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 7:22 am
Thanks for your response. You are right, I feel miserable. I hopefully have a long life ahead of me, and the quality of my life would be greatly improved with revision. It is just nerve racking thinking of going through more surgery, but I know it will be for the better if I get approved.
airbender
on 1/19/11 7:23 am
you have picked a superb Dr, I would be shocked if he did the sleeve and not the DS.  suggest to post your question to the DS board and to the sleeve board, there are revisions on there that can help you.  good luck with your choices
Most Active