bypass to vsg/ds without regain?

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/11 11:05 am
Hey,

I'm a 22 years old dude, and I have lost roughly 270 pounds since having the fobi pouch procedure (AKA banded gastric bypass) 15months ago. I have issues with food intolerations (that causes vomiting) and dumping syndrome, and I am considering revision.

I would prefer revision to DS. I now know for someone who was my size (with diabetes) the DS would have been the best option from the beginning, and I am quite disgusted that I was not educated about this. It's too bad I didn't find the DS boards when I was preop.

I would settle with revision to VSG for I assume it would be a lot less costly, and I would at least have less problems with diet.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for cash pay?

thanks in advanced.

my b4&after shots

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/11 11:58 am - San Jose, CA
Revision to DS can be done at a normal weight in the presence of complications such as vomiting, severe food intolerances, unresolved diabetes, etc.  It might even be covered by insurance.  Check with Rabkin or Keshishian.
(deactivated member)
on 1/17/11 9:22 pm
Thanks a lot. I was looking into cash pay because I assumed insurance wouldn't cover it. I live in so ca, so I can make an appointment with Keshishian. Thanks again.
100togo4me
on 1/18/11 10:45 am
So...hard...not...to...post...compliment...without...sounding...trashy.

But in relation to your post, I don't see any reason why your insurance would not cover it, but that is because I am not familiar with your plan and insurance situation! If your desire/need for revision is medically necessary, I don't see why that would exclude you from insurance coverage. Unless your current treating surgeon does not feel your issues are medically relevant. I don't know if he/she is giving you the tough-it-out treatment, more details are needed. And if you lose your coverage, god forbid due to your issues, well that becomes disability and you would be entitled to Medicare a year after your disability date, but Medicaid right away.

But...so hard to offer advice without a lot of detail about your situation here. And...gosh, this is so hard...you look like you are a situation. But back to the topic, and I am no WLS expert or surgeon, but I have to wonder if being 15 months out is partially the issue. Your body is still undergoing change. And since I forgot earlier, CONGRATS. I still had some issues at 15 months. I still dumped when I did dumb, bad things. I dumped sometimes when I didn't think I did a bad thing; but in retrospect, was still figuring out what I could and could not eat without causing an intestinal panic attack. I was still getting dizzy and had terrible blood pressure issues because I went from naturally low blood pressure when morbidly obese to even lower blood pressure as I went down the mass scale and up the hottie scale. My point is just that "things" are still "changing" at 15 months out. I just took it day by day, trying to improve myself and my nutrition each day no matter how sick I was. Though, through trial and error, I learned some of my discomfort and more severe issues were due to the massive amount of poor quality or inappropriate supplements I was taking. Took a lot of trialing and erroring to figure out the right meds, right vites, right foods, right everything. Sorry friend, I am sorry.

Maybe in time the dumping situation would resolve with dietary changes and...well, time. But if you want your pylorus valve, then any surgery where your stomach is reassembled might be a good bet, assuming you do not have issues from the length of your common channel. My only concern, aside from you wasting away, because that truly would be a "waste", is that if you have a VSG or DS (or some such variation), that the remaining stomach would be disposed of. So you would not be able to reverse, just revise.

They say time will tell, but if your issues are severe, then you may not have the time in which to tell, hence my apprehension here. Part of me wonders if you didn't make the post just to get winks from the ladies though. Did someone/something tell you insurance would be an issue? Well, good luck if you revise, good luck if you do not.

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/11 12:15 pm
I got a kick that you asked if I just wanted a wink from the ladies. I just wanted y'all to see who I am.

My issues with dumping have been getting worse, and I will be seeing my surgeon next week to discuss whether he thinks revision is needed or if other measures can be taken. Also Dr Keshishian will be requesting a pre aproval from my insurance (blue cross anthem ppo) if indeed revision is medically necessary. I obviously don't want to have to go through revision if I can avoid it, but it seems like the best option to me right now.
airbender
on 1/19/11 7:28 am
there are pts (Dr K also) that have been revised and been normal bmi  to DS and I know of one who was revised from underweight bmi to DS and they are on the DS board, revision was not due to weight, but for a better quality of life and complications-in other words your issues.  your insurance should pay for the revision, post there for more replies-wishing you well
Most Active