Revision from RYN to DS (also have the feeding tube in bowel 2wks out) anyone???

mrsmaverickr6
on 1/15/11 5:56 am - Lompoc, CA
Wondering if anyone else has done this and their experiences. My RNY was 5yrs ago didn't lose that much and vitamin def. I waited and tried everything to turn in around myself but couldn't do it. Had surgery 12/29/10 OPEN this time and I have the J-tube that goes into my bowel for pusing protein & water. Anyone else been thru this would like some info on how you are doing and dealt with it.
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 10:04 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi!

I had my revision on Dec. 21, 2009, so it's just over a year. I had my original RNY in 2003. Those first couple of weeks were hell. I remember thinking that it was much worse than the rny (I had mine open) or my tummy tuck/hernia repair.

I had the j tube in until Jan. 11, 2010, so about 3 weeks. Hated it, ugh! I really felt like I'd been put through the wringer. My back hurt from being in bed, my abdomen hurt, and I just couldn't get comfortable. Once the feeding tube was out I felt a lot better. I started to feel better once I ate, too. I couldn't do much, started with egg drop soup and then scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc. By the 4th week I was sampling bites of meat.

Hang in there. Things do get easier, trust me. Today, I'm great, but just make sure you keep up with the supplements. I went into the DS with a lot of deficiencies post-rny, and it's taking me awhile to catch up. I follow Vitalady's vitamin schedule.

mrsmaverickr6
on 1/15/11 12:43 pm - Lompoc, CA

Thanks for the wisdom, I will have my j-tube for six weeks, I hate it but I will do what I have too....was your tube in stomach or bowel, mineis bowel.  I guess I am concerned how they remove and close us my bowel when its time to come out, do you remember any of that.  I had some deficiencies as well, but hope this will help me lose the weight, my pouch from RNY had a couple small leaks but was still only about the size of lemon, became vitamin deficient, severe dumping, and started to regain lost a total of 90 with rny in 2005 but in last two years have gained 30 back. I became so frustrated and done at least a year searching for doctor that would work on me. Found one and love him. Thanks again its nice talking to someone that has been through it. 

Teresa

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 12:39 am
Spacely StarKiller
on 1/16/11 5:13 am - Montreal, Canada
I am looking into revision myself and finding this process extremely difficult. My RNY surgeon (done in 2006) hadn't been very helpful and had told me that he was disappointed I hadn't lost more weight. (SW 360+ LW 235) A year after surgery I got really sick and went undiagnosed with a thyroid problem for 3 years. I was on a lot of different medication and became  very depressed. I am currently 295lbs and horrified.

I found another surgeon who is contemplating revision, I need to go for a few tests first. Any posetive feedback on revision and how I'm not crazy for needing it would be more than welcomed.

-Serena

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

mrsmaverickr6
on 1/16/11 7:55 am - Lompoc, CA
You can only be the judge of that, (SW371 LW294 and day of revision 340), I had my first surgery LAP so I didnt have that much pain, or issues. This one I am very uncomfortable, not really pain from sugery but I am a tummy sleeper and with feeding tube I can't sleep on stomach or very long on my sides, I have back issue and trying to sleep is sometimes very difficult,. BUT on the other had I pray and hope that this time it works better for me, my new doctor says I shouldn't of had the RNY to begin with, because of my highest weight being 415, that the DS is better for those that are cosidered SUPER morbid obese....I like Dr Keshishian he could back up anything that I had questions on, things I had heard whatever. Like we know these surgeries are not a cure but a tool to help us, I have added you to my friend list keep my updated on what you find out and decide. take care

Teresa
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 9:13 am
Spacely StarKiller
on 1/19/11 4:27 pm - Montreal, Canada
Thank you for your recommendation- I'm going to look more into the DS- but so far, that is the one I was leaning towards (I think lol). For a while I lost hope that revision wasn't a possability because my original surgeon left me feeling hopeless calling me basically a failure and adding I hadn't lost enough weight initially.

This is the same surgeon that hadn't made any attempt to help me figure out my health issues one year out when I was worried they were caused by the RNY. So really I learned post-op not to expect much from him.

The surgeon I found is well known in performing revision surgeries and he has performed quite a few. I feel that he is quite competant and is looking into my case completely.

I don't really think I'd be able to travel for the procedure as I don't quite have the funds. currently I'm hoping the revision (because of my high BMI) will be covered by medicare- and if not I'm looking into my mom's insurance which I will hopefully be covered by.

Thank yu so much for taking your time to help out. I truly appreciate it!

Serena xo

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Debbie M.
on 1/18/11 11:15 pm
Dr. K is the best. I had that damn tube for 7 weeks and hated every minute of it.  I taped it on my skin so it wouldn't move.  Flushed it 3 times a day.  Came in handy when I got badly constipated once.  I was dreading having him take it out, thought it would hurt, etc.  It was done before I knew what happened, didn't feel a thing.  It's there for good reason.  You shouldn't have to go much longer.
Debbie>

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

mrsmaverickr6
on 1/19/11 2:18 am - Lompoc, CA
Thanks Debbie I am so tired of it already and only three weeks out today so I know I have at the very least have it until my first doctor appointment on Feb 3, my skin from the tape hurts more than the actual surgery area.....I keep telling myself I am half way there to getting it removed.  It was really difficult to sleep at first, but NOW I have figured out how to lay on my side for at least hour at a time.  I hope to be able to contact you with other questions that might come up. added you to my friends list. thanks again

Teresa
Most Active