question after consult w/ surgeon today

Nicole S.
on 1/14/11 3:54 am - York Haven, PA
Meet w/ my surgeon today....I had lapband 3 yrs ago and had to have it removed just 3 mons after getting it.  Well he said that when he goes in to do the RNY my pouch might have to be slightly bigger than a regular RNY because of possible scar tissue due to the lapband slippage....he said that my pouch would be thinner and longer...called it a "linear pouch".  Guess I will just have to eat denser food. 

Just wondering if anybody else out there had a revision from lap band and how you are doing weight losss wise.

Thanks so much!!

Surgery 355  / Current 246 / Goal 199.9

TamaraL
on 1/14/11 5:11 am
Will your insurance cover the sleeve?? You might want to do research on other surgeries.  The reason my revision worked is that my pouch is small and I can't eat much plus i have the malabsorption of calories right now.

I am doing great with my revision from lap band to bypass but like I said my pouch is fairly small. 

I would do some more research on that "linear pouch before I would do it.  Sounds very strange and almost like a sleeve.

Tamara

MsBatt
on 1/15/11 1:00 am
I strongly urge you to seek a second opinion, hopefully with a surgeon who performs the DS. It has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, AND it's the best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. It will also allow you to take NSAIDs, which the RNY does not.

With the DS, you'd have a Sleeve stomach, plus an intestinal component that gives PERMANENT malabsorption of calories, and which makes a dramatic change in your metabolism. The Sleeve stomach still has a functional pylorus, so no dumping, no stretched stomas, no getting food stuck, and you're not NEARLY as likely to develope reactive hypoglycemia as you are after the RNY.

Please, don't do ANYTHING until you've researched ALL your options. Having WLS twice is hard---having it three times is nearly impossible. (But we do have some posters here who have done so.)
Most Active