somebody please explain this

randy S.
on 1/13/11 2:59 am - brooklyn, NY
This was sent to me by Dr. G. 
I make the common channel about 10% of your total small bowel length and it is usually either 75 or 100 cm long.  The biliary channel is made to be 60% of your total small bowel length and the alimentary channel is made to be 30%.  This is just like the bottom half of a duodenal switch.  The only major difference is that you don't have the gastric pouch hooked back up to the stomach and don't therefore have the pylorus which controls emptying of the stomach
How much weight can i expect to lose from this.  This is instead of the full ds that I really want but he feels to much risk.
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/11 4:01 am - San Jose, CA
Nobody can answer that question.

The more important question, however, is what deficiencies will you have, due to having a pouch, no duodenum and a very distal bypass?  What will your quality of life be like?  How many of your issues right now are due to your pouch, which won't be resolved by leaving it in place?

And how much of Dr. G's recommendation is based on HIS troubles revising a pouch to a sleeve, which are not being encountered by Drs. Rabkin and Keshishian (to my knowledge)?
kim W.
on 1/13/11 4:32 am - west des moines, IA
Have been wanting someone to answer these same questions.

Start-Revision RNY 02/17/2012- 402#, 2 months- down 55 #, 3 months-339

Shawnta H.
on 1/13/11 10:17 am - Ellicott City, MD
I had the procedure (ERNY/DISTAL RNY) that Dr. G is describing in 2007.  I lost 20 lbs and I am now seeking a full DS.  Like Diana said this procedure did nothing to alleviate any of gastric issues I have as a result of my pouch.  As a matter of fact I have more issues because I am not able to tolerate meat which we know is an ESSENTIAL source of protein.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not allow Dr. G or anybody else to talk you into this procedure I really believe it is dangerous.    I don't know where you are located but Dr. Vanguri in Baltimore has done many complete RNY to DS revisions I have spoken to several of his patients and they have not had any complications.  Dr. Vanguri has been going revision for several years and WLS in general for more than 20 years.  I'm not sure why his patients are not active on this site but there are a few of his revision patients here.
randy S.
on 1/13/11 11:38 am - brooklyn, NY
Thank you Shawnta,
I have never heard of him but he is much closer to me (new York) then Kesheshian in California.  I will look into him right away.
Randy
mrsmaverickr6
on 1/15/11 6:04 am - Lompoc, CA
Dr. Keshishian in California is #1 in revision surgery, I have just had mine dec 29th 2010, he explains everything in ENGLISH and what to expect dont get me wrong its a TOOL and my first surgery RNY was Lapro, and this one was OPEN surgery so dealing with this has been difficult but he can BACK EVERYTHING that he tells you. I love Dr K
Most Active