I had RNY Revised to VSG last month, need a friend who has been through this!

baylady35310
on 1/12/11 2:03 am - Millsboro, DE
I went into Mt Sinai on 12/2 and came out on 12/5 I was hoping for a full DS but Dr. Inabnet due to complications could only do the first half the sleeve, I left the hospital came home and then had problems and had to go back in on 12/9 due to leakage, ruptures and sepsis, I was just released on 1/5 needless to say my revision did not go as planned.  I am now home trying to cope with getting at least 30 grams of protein and 40 oz of water or more in per day and feeling very nervous about problems happening again.  I thought this was going to be the end all surgery for me but then I read more and hope I am one of the ones that loses and does not have to go back for the other half of the DS.  Those that have been through the same thing and are living with the VSG and have lost all their weight and are happy with it, please write to me, I want to hear how you did it and follow in your steps, I do NOT WANT ANOTHER SURGERY.  Thanks everyone, it has been a long two months and I keep on taking each day at a time and drinking and eating what I can.

Linda
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 3:28 am - bridgewater, NJ
 hi linda

i had a ryn revision on 10/14 and came home on 12/5  i feel your pain my friend,  it was hard for me to drink and eat,  it has gotten better the past 2 weeks,  i eat what i can handle,  mostly soup and cheese  i drink the carnation instant breakfast with milk gives u about 13 g protien.  good luck,  keep in touch
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 6:36 am - Bayonne, NJ
Linda!!!! {{{hugs}}} I'm so glad to see you posting! You went through hell, that I know.

I hope that some of the others who have been down this road respond to you. I also hope that you don't need additional surgery. That whole ordeal sucked for you. :(

Hang in there. I know it's difficult to get in the protein. Now, you had the pouch taken down and converted to the sleeve, but did Dr. Inabet reverse the entire rny?   Sip slowly, but just keep on sipping. How are you doing with swallowing? I found that in the beginning I was better able to drink the more juice-like protein drinks rather than the shake types. I pretty much lived on Syntrax Nectar's Strawberry Kiwi.

Now, another thing - I finally got my house so if you do have to come back to the NYC area you are welcome to stay with us. I wish I'd had the house when you were going through everything, so that your husband could have stayed with us. :(

Please keep us all updated! I'm hoping everything goes smoothly for you from here on out.
baylady35310
on 1/12/11 10:58 pm - Millsboro, DE
Thanks for responding.  I am currently eating 1% cottage cheese with a 1/2 of a smashed banana and a Chike (28 Grams) shake so I am getting my 30 grams of protein in a day, I pushed it and ate some SF pudding on Monday with 1 scoop of unflavored protein powder (21 grams) it went down well but then gave me gas and I was miserable finally called the doctor he told me to take milk of magnesia which I did not have and we were in the middle of the storm so had to wait, finally got some and took it and got relief, now I am a little afraid to eat again but know I have too.  Lost 54 lbs the month of December while I was going through that ordeal but nothing since I have been home but not getting upset, thinking my body is just adjusting.  walking inside my house as much as possible and have been working with a 3 lbs weight upper body when I can, little exercises nothing strenuous.  Thanks for the offer of your home, I do appreciate it and will keep you updated.  I am due to come up on 1/24 but it is so the surgeon can take out the feeding tube which is a pain and I wish he had removed it before I left and to check out my other wounds which are healing nicely plus I need to see the nutritionist.  I think I will come up by towncar just because the ordeal of taking a bus or train and all the navigating around the terminals to taxi and back is just still too much for me now.  Hopefully, the next appointment will not be for 3 months so I can have some time and come up a cheaper way on the next visit.  Congrat on the new house!  I will keep you updated, I am hoping the VSG works for me because I do not plan on having the other half, I have to talk to Dr. I about how this really works when I go in for this next visit.  Want to understand what my pouch is doing, I get full and stop but is that the pouch or the sleeve, I think it is the sleeve because my pouch has been stretched so we will see what he says.  Thanks again and please keep in touch.

Linda
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 11:22 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Linda, if Dr. Inabet performed the full RNY to VSG, you don't have a pouch anymore. It might be best to hang out on the VSG board and find out what they have to say, and what tips they may have. I've tried looking around for others who have had the RNY to VSG, but I keep drawing a blank. I know of some lap-band to vsg people, but that's a different story.

Give your body time to heal, get in the water and protein, and as the weather gets better you can increase your exercise. You went through so much that your body is probably very tired of all the work it had to do.

Like I said, you're welcome to crash at our place whenever you need. I can't believe he had to leave the feeding tube, ugh! I had mine for close to 3 weeks and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

_rebecca
on 1/15/11 10:19 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
So sorry to hear about all your problems.  You should come over the the sleeve forum and we will help you.  Also Vertical Sleeve Talk is very supportive.  I had a revision from the band to the sleeve and I am loving my sleeve so far.  I hope you get well soon and that you are able to do this without another surgery.  Best wishes!
Most Active