I'm so embarrassed...

MaMa_Dee
on 1/10/11 10:43 am - Charlotte, NC
Im just going to put it out there. I had Gastric Bypass November 2009. I lost close to 80lbs but gained close to 40 of it back. Im embarrassed to go back to the doctor. I just don't understand. When I started this whole weight loss journey I was so overweight that I had to lose close to 70 lbs to even have the surgery. I lost it by myself in 7 months. Then I had the surgery...I lost early on but then I would go for months without losing anything. I had a particularly rough year ( lost my Mom and almost lost my partner twice) and of course I didn't stick with the plan as I should have. However...a 40 lb weight gain??? I don't get it. What do I do? I mean...who has weight loss surgery and only loses 40lbs?

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/10/11 11:44 am - Mexico
On January 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM Pacific Time, MaMa_Dee wrote:
Im just going to put it out there. I had Gastric Bypass November 2009. I lost close to 80lbs but gained close to 40 of it back. Im embarrassed to go back to the doctor. I just don't understand. When I started this whole weight loss journey I was so overweight that I had to lose close to 70 lbs to even have the surgery. I lost it by myself in 7 months. Then I had the surgery...I lost early on but then I would go for months without losing anything. I had a particularly rough year ( lost my Mom and almost lost my partner twice) and of course I didn't stick with the plan as I should have. However...a 40 lb weight gain??? I don't get it. What do I do? I mean...who has weight loss surgery and only loses 40lbs?

nononono... don't be embarrassed.  When you have bypass you only malabsorb for up to 2 years. Regain is high with bypass, it is not your fault.

Face it, we have a disease and not a character flaw, bypass is not a good fix for a disease.  After about 3 years post op you likely have a dilated stoma/pouch, you are hungry all the time, you are absorbing all the calories you consume, and you are seriously metabolically challenged.  Of course regain will happen.

1 in 5 fail bypass, since a success is considered anyone who loses 50% of their EXCESS weight.. they aren't setting the bar too high to begin with.

With that said, you are going to have stress throughout your life.  It is never going to go away.  You can't eat your way out of stress.  That one is on you.  White carbs... that's on us.  NO surgery types fixes white carbs such as flour and sugar.  We have to make our lifestyle changes as well.

The question is.. how far do you want to go to revise?  How far do you want to go to lose?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
dawn4511
on 1/10/11 11:15 pm - Niagara Falls, Canada
I underdstand from experience how you are feeling. I had mine in 2007 lost 100ibs and have gained 60back. I find it really hard to lose (before getting pregnant)any of it. It's so hard not to get down on yourself but try not to. There might be something wrong with the surgery I know my stoma is stretched and nothing stays in my pouch so I absorb every calorie I take in. The first thing is hold your head high and call your surgeon for an appt to see if your surgery is still in tack the way it should be.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/11 10:15 am - Bayonne, NJ
It happens, please don't be embarrassed. Not every surgery works for everyone.  Many RNY patients never get to goal. If you lose 50% of the excess weight, they consider the surgery a success for statistical reasons.

We're here for you if you have revision questions. I revised from the RNY to the DS, and I'm very happy with my choice. I never did get to goal and I had problems from the RNY which have been corrected.

I'm very sorry about your Mom, and I hope that your partner is doing well. Hang in there, and we're here for you.

Adele
Monique H.
on 1/11/11 1:34 pm
I'm on my second revision. I hope I got it right this time. Feel free to check out my info.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active