Revision scheduled and nervous

Abby P.
on 1/9/11 11:09 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
I have my RNY revision scheduled for Jan. 24th and I am nervous. I am wondering if any of you can share your revision stories with me. I think I am mostly nervous because it has to be an open incision instead of lap, so I am not excited for the scar. I had a RNY gastric bypass in 2001 and now I am wondering what anyone thinks is the best way to go with a revision?
C. Rivera
on 1/10/11 12:35 am - North Wales, PA
Hello My name is Carmen and I am schedule for a revision on January 21, @9am , I had Gastric bypass on January 4 2001, though it has been 6 years and 170lbs of weight loss I still need to lose around 140 pounds more. Thank god I have not gain any of the weight loss, and I don't plan on too, but I do want to get rid of the rest. And they suggested that since  the I already had the RNY that maybe they need to put a lap band on it so that I can accomplish my goal. But I guess you had the lap band first and now you are having the RNY.  Hope we can get our answers through this web site. Wish you luck as well.

Carmen Rivera
jules777
on 1/14/11 1:34 pm - CA
Hi Carmen, I too had a bypass and just came home a few days ago after having revision surgery. I had to go out of the country to have it done because my insurance would not cover it in the U.S.. My only option was to have a band placed on top to get my restriction back. I had my bypass done way back in 1992, I lost over a 100 lbs back then but after the years went by I gained it all back plus more. I don't know as of yet how things will turn out, but I am staying positive and hoping for the best outcome.  If I can be of any help to you let me know...
C. Rivera
on 1/14/11 10:31 pm - North Wales, PA

Thank you so much for the support, and I hope you are seeing the results already then, I had ines done in 2005 and I have lost 170, and thank god I have not gain any of it due to the diet I eat, I have learned so much during this process , that if I knew then what I know now I know I would of had lost all the weight. I am very devoted to two hours of gym on a daily basis and I follow a very well and healthy eating pattern , something I never did when I had gastric bypass at the beginning. Because of lack of knowledge, I hated the protein shakes , I hated to exercise, I loved losing the weight on its own and I thought it will all go away so why even bother.... 2 years after My weight loss started slowing down and I got nevous and then it just never continued, then to get to where I am now I did it on my own and now I am at a plateau , and been at this weight for a while .....285lbs.. I am suppose to be at 150lbs, but if I can just get to 200lbsor at least 199 just to be below the 200 mark I would be happy , better than carring 300 lbs extra around. My appointment is next friday and I am hopinhg that the insurance approves it, I had been with other doctors to do a revision and had no help all they would say was ...oh follow a diet , excersise. Now I am going through the Barix Clinic, they specialize in in gastric bypass only , so will see how they can help me with ...Wish you all the sucess you need to achieve your goal. and PLEASE keep in touch and yes be part of my support team . I can do the same for you .

God Bless
Carmen

MsBatt
on 1/15/11 12:51 am
With having once had as high a BMI as you did, I REALLY think you should consider being revised to the DS. The DS makes a dramatic, PERMANENT change in your metabolism, not just in how much you can eat.
C. Rivera
on 1/16/11 11:17 pm - North Wales, PA
SO what I gather from you is that you had gastric and then had a DS, how long ago did you have the gastric and then had the DS, and where are you at this point now, What are the pros and cons that you have experienced so far. Would be nice to see what you have to say my appointment is this friday and would like to be prepared when I ask questions or when the doctor suggest anything to me. TY

Carmen Rivera
MsBatt
on 1/17/11 5:52 am
On January 17, 2011 at 7:17 AM Pacific Time, C. Rivera wrote:
SO what I gather from you is that you had gastric and then had a DS, how long ago did you have the gastric and then had the DS, and where are you at this point now, What are the pros and cons that you have experienced so far. Would be nice to see what you have to say my appointment is this friday and would like to be prepared when I ask questions or when the doctor suggest anything to me. TY

This came to me, but I *think* you meant it to go to the OP.
MsBatt
on 1/15/11 12:54 am
On January 10, 2011 at 7:09 AM Pacific Time, Abby P. wrote:
I have my RNY revision scheduled for Jan. 24th and I am nervous. I am wondering if any of you can share your revision stories with me. I think I am mostly nervous because it has to be an open incision instead of lap, so I am not excited for the scar. I had a RNY gastric bypass in 2001 and now I am wondering what anyone thinks is the best way to go with a revision?
The best/ Get revised to a DS. But you'll have to change surgeons to get "the best", as your surgeon doesn't do even 'virgin' DSes, much less revisions to the DS.
Most Active