Lapband removed.... should bypass be next?

dana5333
on 1/9/11 10:04 am
Hello ya'all!
I had my band removed in 2008 due to erosion, and I have gained all of my wight back since... almost to the pound! I am thinking of having the bypass done now.
Looking for somebody who has had the same experience, to see how things went. I wonder if the scar tissue could cause issues. How does the dumping feeling compare to any of the feelings you've had with the band... any info would be helpful.
Thanks for reading!

~Dana5333

Hislady
on 1/9/11 12:45 pm - Vancouver, WA
Myself I would go with the VSG if I could get rid of this blasted band. It works the way the band is "supposed" to work. Yet you don't have the sliming and gagging issues.
TamaraL
on 1/9/11 9:17 pm
First, call your insurance and find out if they have a WLS exclusion.  Some insurances have a exclusion that they will cover one WLS per lifetime even if you did not have the first surgery with them.

Second, find out which surgeries your insurance will cover.  The sleeve is also a restrictive procedure.  They make the stomach into the shape of a banana and it restricts the amount of food you eat. 

I had my revision from lap band to RNY. Was pretty sure I was going to have the dumping because I had the reactive hypoglycemia with the band.  If I eat something with too much fat or too much sugar, I will get a fast heart rate, start shaking.  It may be hours before I have diarrhea or I may not have the diarrhea at all.

Only about 30% of patients dump.  You may not even dump if you have the bypass. 

I eat very small meals, I am actually satisfied with the small meals.

Tamara

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/10/11 10:48 am - Mexico
Why bypass? What is it about bypass that makes you want that surgery type?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active