Anyone have revision surgery for stricture that wouldn't resolve?

OverthehillMT
on 1/7/11 11:16 pm
Is there anyone out there who has developed a stricture and it just keep returning and did you have to have something else done like revision surgery or a stent put in, etc.  And, for those out there who have had a stricture, how many times have you had to have it dilated before it did resolve?

I developed my first stricture a couple weeks after surgery and went in for balloon dilation after 3-1/2 weeks after surgery (it had closed right up where I couldn't even get liquids in), then I went back each week for another dilation because it was closing up each time and then on my 4th dilation I had a perforation occur and ended up in the hospital for 2 days while it healed.  I skipped a week of dilation because I didn't want the surgeon going back in to dilate the stricture until I felt comfortable that the perforation had healed good.  I just went back in a couple days ago for my 5th dilatation (two weeks after the last one where the perforation occurred) and I was closed right back up again where they had to use a special instrument to get through the hole so they could dilate me. 

I know there is such a thing out there as a stent that can be put in to hold it open while it heals and I also know that sometimes it just won't heal right and you have to have a revision surgery.  I don't want to keep going through dilatations every week because they have to put me under MAC anesthesia each time because they can't do it under the regular sedation and also each time I run the risk of another perforation, not to mention the cost each time I have to go in. 

So, I am wondering is there anyone out there whose strictures kept recurring and you had to have a more invasive procedure to correct it?  Anyone else out there going through this or have gone through, I would love to hear your story and what ended up being done to correct it.  Thanks.

Shelly56
on 1/13/11 10:45 am - MO
I could have written that myself.yes.after 28 years mine is closing off..its the pits..I'm still waiting to hear from my Dr...It will probably be April till I can have some reconstruction done...so for now I'm on anything that will turn to liquid before I swallow...will catch up to you later..its just that your article caught my eye....thanks
Most Active