VSG to RNY or DS

QueenMoe
on 1/7/11 2:04 pm
 Hello!
I'm having VSG surgery on the 17th and I was wondering if any of you have had to go from the sleeve to RNY or DS.  I know that this happends to some people and I don't want to have two surgeries.  

If you have had ths revision, can you tell me the reasons?

Thanks!
Monica
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/11 10:03 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Going into a surgery thinking about a revision? Maybe you're not 100% comfortable with your choice?

The vsg can be revised to the ds without a problem because it's part of the DS. Going to an RNY would be difficult. There are ds doctors who perform the ds in two parts - first doing the sleeve and later performing the intestinal bypass.

I went from an RNY to a DS, and it was very difficult to perform. They had to take down the pouch, undo the staple line, excise the ring from my stoma, and then convert the stomach to the sleeve.
randy S.
on 1/8/11 7:13 am - brooklyn, NY
Why did you have a ring on your stoma if it was a regular ru-n-y. That would have be a vertical banded gastric plasty wouldnt it? 
For some reason Greenbaum is really turned off of revisions to full ds.  He just want to revise to distal gasrtic bypass.  Iff I undersatnd correctly from you and other members is a big fat waste of time. 
You  must have been one of his last ds revisions.  I'm jealous.
Now I am looking around for someone who will happily revise me to ds because he believes it is the best thing for me (which is how I belive) and not because I am begging him to do it.  If you know what I mean :-(
Randy
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/11 8:27 am - Bayonne, NJ
I think Dr. Capella started the trend, and a few other doctors, including Dr. Kamelgard (who performed my RNY) followed suit. They would use a prolene mesh band around the stoma to prevent stretching. In many cases, it causes people to foam and vomit. It's awful.

I think Dr. Greenbaum might be getting turned off to the full revision because of the number of problems that it can cause. Taking down the pouch and converting it to the sleeve is a damned lot of work and it is a weak spot for leaks. I was lucky, I didn't have any of those problems. Since my main concern was getting rid of the ring I was determined to have the sleeve done and converting the intestine to the DS wasn't problematic.  Ask him specifically why, in your case, he wouldn't recommend it.

randy S.
on 1/8/11 10:21 am - brooklyn, NY
I did ask him and basically he sounds like he's afraid of leaks.  I wouldn't be going to him if I had any question about his capability's.  I think the hospital is shying away from full ds.  I'm not sure, but how can somebody who is so good at something stop doing it.  It's weird to me and a little disconcerting.  I am glad that you got it done though. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/11 3:06 pm, edited 1/15/11 6:34 am - San Jose, CA
Husted [in my opinion, of course!] did what appears to be the same thing -- was doing RNY to DS revisions, then (apparently, from what I've been told, but you should check it out for yourself) had some bad outcomes, and the hospital (apparently, from what I've heard) pressured him to stop doing RNY to DS revisions (or flat out forced him to stop doing them,  for whatever reason, from what I've read: see below), and suddenly RNY to ERNY was "good enough."  Maybe neither of them was "good enough."

This is from a post on this thread (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4173826/Dr-Husted-Updat e-and-more/), from the time Husted was leaving KY:
"I had recommend Husted to a patient's family member based on info from this board.  When she saw him he told her he could not perform the DS any longer. Guess thats why his is moving.   He also told her that he does the pouch to sleeve lap and the intestional switch open. Hasn't he moved quite a bit?  Is there something we should know about this guy.  I am not bashing him just wondering why a vetted DS surgeon is on the move so much!  I have read not so good things about the clinic in Arizona.  Isn't this the place that s owned by the plastic surgeon and caused such a ruckus a few years ago. 
Is Husted really that hard up for a job?
" (emphasis added)

Fuck that.  Rabkin and Keshishian are continuing to keep doing RNY to DS revisions with excellent outcomes.  I wonder why that is?

Edited to add clarification about information that I have been told by others and statements that are my opinion, and that any prospective patient should check this out for themselves.  I assume this satisfies any issue that Gitt/Husted might have with this posting. 
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/10/11 11:15 am - Mexico
On January 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:
Husted did what appears to be the same thing -- was doing RNY to DS revisions, then had some bad outcomes, and the hospital pressured him to stop doing RNY to DS revisions, and suddenly RNY to ERNY was "good enough."  Maybe neither of them was "good enough."

Fuck that.  Rabkin and Keshishian are continuing to keep doing RNY to DS revisions with excellent outcomes.  I wonder why that is?

This is incorrect information.

It was not that Husted had bad outcomes, the hospital canceled ALL DS surgeries in Kentucky because of an HIV+ patient.

The backwards hillbillies in KY running a hospital didn't want an HIV+ patient, they canceled HIS surgery.  When the patient threatened to sue the hospital they had to cover their asses and they canceled ALL DS surgeries.

Many of the KY surgeries were medicaid, medicaid does not pay well.  It behooved the hospital to push bands, and that they did.  Virgin bands, bypass to bands....

Please, get your facts straight before posting.  Amazingly, you are not always correct with your info.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
100togo4me
on 1/17/11 9:24 am
Good luck! I wish I had the ring, in restrospect. Over a decade ago when I began to research WLS, one of the AZ surgeons implanted a silastic ring; I believe to prevent the stoma from enlarging. The drawback was that the surgery (at the time) had to be performed by that surgeon open as to allow the placement of the ring. Remember, that VSG you are interested in is a restriction only procedure, if I remember correctly. RNY is both restrictive and malabsorptive. So if you only need the restriciiton, and do not want or need the malabsorption of the bypass, then the VSG is not an inappropriate choice. Regardless of your choice, good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/11 2:59 pm, edited 1/15/11 6:22 am - San Jose, CA

WASaBubbleButt
Mexico
Alberto Aceves M.D., F.A.C.S. Revision (12/06/06) Member Since: 08/10/10
[Latest Posts]

On January 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote: Husted [in my opinion, of course!] did what appears to be the same thing -- was doing RNY to DS revisions, then (apparently, from what I've been told, but you should check it out for yourself) had some bad outcomes, and the hospital (apparently, from what I've heard) pressured him to stop doing RNY to DS revisions (or flat out forced him to stop doing them,  for whatever reason, from what I've read: see below), and suddenly RNY to ERNY was "good enough."  Maybe neither of them was "good enough."

This is from a post on this thread (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4173826/Dr-Husted-Updat e-and-more/), from the time Husted was leaving KY:
"I had recommend Husted to a patient's family member based on info from this board.  When she saw him he told her he could not perform the DS any longer. Guess thats why his is moving.   He also told her that he does the pouch to sleeve lap and the intestional switch open. Hasn't he moved quite a bit?  Is there something we should know about this guy.  I am not bashing him just wondering why a vetted DS surgeon is on the move so much!  I have read not so good things about the clinic in Arizona.  Isn't this the place that s owned by the plastic surgeon and caused such a ruckus a few years ago. 
Is Husted really that hard up for a job?
" (emphasis added)

Edited to add clarification about information that I have been told by others and statements that are my opinion, and that any prospective patient should check this out for themselves.  I assume this satisfies any issue that Gitt/Husted might have with this posting.   
This is incorrect information.

It was not that Husted had bad outcomes, the hospital canceled ALL DS surgeries in Kentucky because of an HIV+ patient.

The backwards hillbillies in KY running a hospital didn't want an HIV+ patient, they canceled HIS surgery.  When the patient threatened to sue the hospital they had to cover their asses and they canceled ALL DS surgeries.

Many of the KY surgeries were medicaid, medicaid does not pay well.  It behooved the hospital to push bands, and that they did.  Virgin bands, bypass to bands....

Please, get your facts straight before posting.  Amazingly, you are not always correct with your info.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post

To the OP -- PLEASE don't listen to the (in my opinion, of course!) whackadoo.

This story about why Husted left KY doesn't even make sense (in my opinion, of course!).  I'm sure  (in my opinion, of course!) some of it was that the hospital got scared, but I doubt very much that is what they were scared of (in my opinion, of course!).  It is ludicrous in my opinion that a hospital would indefinitely cancel all surgeries of a specific type of one surgeon just to avoid having an HIV+ patient operated on, especially when the result is that the surgeon would then leave the practice -- unless, perhaps, that was their goal in the first place.  And why would that be?

Check out Husted's record with serious serious complications in patients who were NOT high risk to start with.  Check out Trudy Olive's story.  Check out how often he has moved.  Check out how many great DS surgeons he has apparently not been able to work with (in my opinion, of course! there could be MANY reasons he has been at SIX different practices in the last few years).  Check out the utterly unproven and experimental Vergito surgery that he tries to pawn off (my opinion of his suggesting a procedure which no insurance company will reimburse to a vulnerable class of patients) on self-pays, without benefit of any kind of clinical trial (this is of course MY OPINION of the surgery - you should all investigate it yourself).  I think THOSE are more likely reasons he is now in his 6th practice in just a few years."  And that he has replaced Schlesinger in Gitt's empire in AZ (this being my opinion of what I have heard, of course!).

BB/MWG has blocked me now (or should I say again), because I'm calling her out on her promotion of Husted, and dissing of the actual competent DS surgeons (this is obviously a well-founded opinion of what she is doing).  She actually had the nerve to PM me today and beg me to write something about the DS for her blog, and I refused -- I would NEVER steer anyone to her for advice about WLS -- she has been on this site for years, posting her off-the-wall BS, and is not competent to give such advice (my opinion, which I am quite comfortable with).

Listen to her at your own peril.

Most Active