Need a Revision Expert in KC or surrounding areas

MARIA F.
on 1/11/11 9:21 am - Athens, GA

It seems as though they are not wanting to give u some needed info. Doing a DS revision from the band or VSG is not a biggie, but doing one from RNY is.

If you are serioulsy considering using them I would stongly suggest you get the the info of what the origional surgeries were. I'm sure u don't want to waste your time going there if they haven't done or are not competent to do a RNY to DS.

FormerlyFluffy.com

VBG_1998
on 1/11/11 9:36 am
The way I read her email wasn't that she wasn't willing to give it to me, but that it wasn't readily available.  I get the impression that I pressed her for this that she might be able to provide that.  Keep in mind I am not interested in the RNY or DS, but understand that demonstrating the capabilities to those and revisions associated with those surgeries is a reflection of the experience and expertise.  I will see what else I can get.

I have some concerns though that they haven't done very many revisions overall, and not very many sleeves either.  I understand comparatively that sleeves are new to the other WLS, but some surgeons do have more experience with those and so I may need to keep looking.
MARIA F.
on 1/11/11 10:11 am - Athens, GA

I stand corrected. But please verify before u go that they can revise to a VSG if that's what you want. No reason to go there and waste money on a co-pay if it's not an option there.

FormerlyFluffy.com

VBG_1998
on 1/11/11 10:13 am
I absolutely agree, plus it would require taking a half day of vacation due to it being an hour drive for me.  Thanks for the help.
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/11 1:24 am, edited 2/5/11 1:24 am - San Jose, CA
Although I'm sure YOU already know this, let me just point out for the others who may be reading this that Berntsen's office's questioning of the procedure you have had is WELL FOUNDED and completely reasonable.

Dr. Sifers is well-known in the bariatric world as having committed horrendous malpractice on an untold number of patients.  He LIED on his op reports; he did BPDs when he promised DSs.  PEOPLE WERE HURT AND SOME DIED!  He died with multiple lawsuits pending against him - and I suspect criminal charges of battery could have been made as well.  Berntsen's office is undoubtedly aware of this, and wants to know in advance if possible what the hell he did to you.

http://www.pitch.com/2005-03-31/news/the-final-operation/
http://www.pitch.com/related/to/Timothy+Sifers/
Jessica M.
on 2/4/11 2:30 pm - Kansas City, MO
Just to let you know, I have had encounters with Dr. Dunshee and he is a good surgeon and I was impressed with his office. This was not for my own health though, so I think it is great you are looking into this and getting information.

That being said- I have lap-band and my insurance will not approve the sleeve, but will approve the bypass (what is that about??) but my surgeon in KC (Which is not the one that advertises all the time) wanted to do the revision to the sleeve. He has done several and I am sure they may be able to give you numbers, but if Topeka seems to be working better with you I would go with them.

My surgeon is Dr. Stanley Hohen at The Bariatric Center of KC. I like him a lot, but some of his staff is not so helpful at times. He is in Shawnee Mission right now. Let me know if any of this helps.

Jessica
VBG_1998
on 2/4/11 10:52 pm
I think I have decided I will have to travel out of state.  I have a phone consult with Dr. John Husted next week.  I'm just worried though what happens if I have complications after I get home.  He says he likes people to stay in town for a week following discharge, but that will be something I will have to ask him during the consult.
Most Active