Shortness of breath post op revision

Annie Mayzing
on 1/7/11 9:26 am - Saunderstown, RI
Hi. I had my lap band out and an open RNY on Dec 7, 2010. I first became short of breath when walking to my husband's truck, I was literally gasping by the time I got in his truck. It's been 4 weeks now and my doctor has been working me up for a possible PE (negative) and today decided to send me to a cardiologist. The SOB persists when I exert myself though not as bad as the first episode. EKG, chest x-ray, and lab work have all come back fine. One theory is I had major open abdominal surgery and it's just taking a while to bounce back. My husband thinks I have become deconditioned due to being in the hospital for 4 days. I really don't know what to think. Has anyone experienced this and if so did it ever remit?  Thank you!

Debbie M.
on 1/8/11 11:13 pm

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through.  The only time I felt like I couldn't get enough air in was right after surgery and it lasted for a day or so.  But you've been feeling like this for 4 weeks, that's scary stuff.  I would definitely get a 2nd and 3rd opinion if I had to.  I've had a few major abdominal surgeries and that would scare me, it's not normal. 
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Most Active