worried about a revision

SueLo
on 1/5/11 10:52 am
I have an appointment on the 25th to see a surgeon about a revision.  I found out a couple weeks ago that the reason I gained half my weight back was from an erroded band.  Not sure the risks involved yet and mostly worried about going through this again.  I had no problems with my first surgery and fear I will with the re-do. 
I was so upset with myself for regaining this weight.  That was my biggest fear going into surgery the first time.  I felt like I failed WLS.  Now I have a new hope but also new fears.  I would like to hear from people that have had the second surgery and the outcome.  Letter is off to insurance already so we will see if that is approved before I worry to must about it.
Sue
Crazeye23
on 1/5/11 11:49 am - Arlington, MA
Hello,

I am going through the same thing.  I have an appt with my MD on February 8th to see if I am eligble for a revision.  I feel like such a failure.  I lost 50lbs and gained it all back after my 2nd daughter.  I should have had the bypass and not the lap band done.  I am kicking myself for it.  I wish you luck.
sjprice
on 1/5/11 11:51 am - Quinlan, TX
Try having to have three surgeries before hitting your goal.  Talk about feeling like a failure....

My Story
[ Edit ]

My first weight loss surgery was in Jan 1997.  I lost 100lbs the first year and was able to keep it off for several years.  Then I started having reflex problem.  After I had the scope test I started gaining weight.  Reflex getting worst and weight increase.  Went to surgeon and he took the old band out and replaced with the lab band in Oct 2006.  That was a complete failure.  My reflex was even worst.  No weight loss and I had the band as full as it would go. My surgeon would not help.  Went several times about my port pain, reflex issues and no weight loss.  Finally I went to another surge ion.  He did a revision to the gastric bypass.   I could not be happier with the weight loss.  I can now eat again and loss weight.  With the lap band I would always get sick after I ate.  Now I can eat foods I never thought I could eat again.   In 8 months I hit my goal of 130lbs.  In 9 months I hit my doctors goal of 120lbs.  It's now almost 11 months and I'm at 108lbs. 

I love to shop again !!!!

FYI - my insurance paid for all three!

janice A.
on 1/5/11 8:24 pm - san angelo, TX
I have had my band since feb 2009 two years later i have only lost 53lbs i have a new doc who wants me to have a revision. I didnt wnt it to begin with , the gastric bypass, because it was so invasive but now i am ready. Should have done it to begin with. We are not in this alone.
there should be a group for us :).. I hope the revision works for u, and for me too still waiting on insurance period of exactly 2 years to submit paperwork. Then i will know where I stand. I am ready to do it and start loosing myself again:)..

tc and good luck
Janice

long term

SW 303/ lapband/ 244 /335 pre-op/ revision 4/11

Connie1959
on 1/6/11 12:52 am - Manchester, CT
I had the lap band put in Feb 08. I lost 70 lbs and gained 50 back. I started eating bad. Addicted to sugar. I am going RNY and I am so worried about dumping I will hopefully never eat sugar again and junk food period, I am going to surgery tomorrow and I'm excited
SueLo
on 1/6/11 9:29 am

Good Luck tomorrow.  I'm glad you are excited.  I think I will be too once that comes around.  I did get my insurance OK today so now am on to the next step.

Kris R.
on 1/6/11 9:44 am - Walworth, NY
I had my and removed in August 2010 after 3 years of putting up with the vomiting, reflux and feeling depressed for failing. My doc is ready to do the rny and we met yesterday. He scared the crap out of me. telling me, that scar tissue is going to make this difficult and the risks are higher. He said 1 to 2% risk of death the first time around, 3% the 2nd time around. Now I know, 3% is not that great of a risk but it is a risk. So now I don't know what to do. I keep telling myself to do it, you'll love the new you, but then, what if I have issues with the rny too? I was so sure about the band, i'm just sorry we failed.
Sidonia B.
on 1/6/11 10:00 am
yes there is a  higher risk. because of the scar tissue....and i am very nervous about the surgery but i am looking forward to having it done and start looking good again.... i feel so miserable since i put the weight back. i too vomitted the food after my first or second bite....this is why im hoping the the revision will work for me.... i hope i can start doing the threadmill after the first week after surgery....
jelting134
on 1/8/11 8:28 pm
i had the band in 2004; needed to lose about 90 lbs/lost 40; i have kept about 25 off, but never dropped below the initial 40 lost - hate my band - never could find the sweet spot - decided to see about revision to ryn; surgeon said ok, but may not be able to do it lapriscopically due to numerous abdomial surgeries - insurance company said no at first, but just approved the appeal!!!

i am so excited - i have had this band for 7 yrs - i was afraid of the ryn at first, but my husband had it 2 yrs ago and lost about 100 lbs/looks and feels great - i am ready to do the same!
Most Active