Investigating options

cindyk1
on 1/5/11 1:24 am, edited 1/5/11 2:16 am - MO
In 2006 I had lap band surgery and had lost 55 lbs.  Since then I have gained 30 of that back.  I have tried and tried to get it off again with no luch.  I am thinking on doing the Sleeve but I am so afraid of going through another surgery just to have the same thing happen.  What are anyones thoughts on this and has anyone gone from the band to the sleeve with the same issues?  Thanks!
SueLo
on 1/5/11 9:56 am
WOW!  I had surgery in 2003 and didn't have the options available like there are today.  I am in need of a revision and don't know where to start.  I have felt very guilty about regaining my weight which started about 3 years ago.  I am back up to 235 lbs.  Makes me sooo sad.  Good Luck!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/11 11:47 am
cindyk1
on 1/7/11 4:41 am - MO

What happened with your band?  I have had an xray done and they do not see any slipping or anything.

cindyk1
on 1/7/11 5:22 am - MO
Hello,  I do not know where to start either.  I know I am so frustrated.  I am tired of being fat and depressed!  I want to feel good for once in my life!  Do not be hard on yourself about the gain.  It is something that has happened  but hopefully you can look into a revision like me!
MsBatt
on 1/6/11 6:54 am
I think the Sleeve is a great surgery, but you should also research the DS. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that causes malabsorption, primarily of fat. How much do you need to lose? The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss AND the best stats on resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.
cindyk1
on 1/7/11 4:50 am - MO
That is interesting.  I do not think that my insurance will cover the DS.  But it sounds like long term that is more beneficial.  My doctor is waiting to see what my insurance will cover before he make a decision on what to so.  I bet I end up with RNY.  I need to loose around 125-130 pounds. 
MsBatt
on 1/7/11 5:10 am
Well, your current surgeon is NOT going to recommend the DS, because he doesn't DO the DS. If you think you might want the DS, research it, and if your insurance company doesn't cover it, appeal! There are lots of folks on the DS board who've done that, and are more than willing to help others do the same.

Some people will lose 125-130 pounds with ANY surgery. The real trick is keeping it off, long-term. That's where the malabsorption of the DS comes in.

There's a good list of vetted DS surgeons here:www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html That's also a good website to research the DS on: www.dsfacts.com
cindyk1
on 1/7/11 6:12 am - MO
I will thank you.
_rebecca
on 1/6/11 12:39 pm, edited 1/6/11 12:40 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I just had a revision from the band to the sleeve!  I LOVE the sleeve!  NO HUNGER and my appetite is pretty much gone.  I had a leak  in my lapband and all sorts of other complications that lead me to gain weight back.  I have now lost 12 pounds in two weeks with the sleeve! 
Most Active