8 month revision update

nmroxie
on 1/6/11 12:00 am - Lake Dallas,, TX

I haven't posted in awhile but thought it was time! I am 8 months out from my open revision to DS (from RNY) and have lost 98 lbs - yay!! I feel fantastic and couldn't be more thrilled with my progress.  My 6 month blood work showed all levels where they should be except for being a little low in iron (which I am taking pills for).

I find this way of eating something I can live with for the rest of my life. I walk every day and am starting some yago classes next week.  I would still like to lose about 20 more lbs but do not have a set number I am focusing on. I haven't been this weight since my 20's so I am in uncharted territory!  I do not have to shop plus sizes any longer and for that I am grateful.

I do have a hernia that will have to be taken care of eventually but the dr. said if I can wait unitl I reach my goal (as long as I don't have any issues with it) then that would be better.  I know a lot of people have a tummy tuck at the same time but I will cross that bridge when I get there. 

Thanks to everyone for being so honest and helpful on this website. It has helped me more than you can ever imagine!

Connie1959
on 1/6/11 12:47 am - Manchester, CT

Why did you switch from an RNY? Were you having problems with it?

nmroxie
on 1/6/11 12:59 am - Lake Dallas,, TX
I did not have problems with it, and in fact, I would still be considered a success because I kept off 100 lbs. That particular surgery just didn't take me to my goal. All of them are just tools and we do have to do our part, make life changes etc. After 8 years I decided I was ready to finish my journey and needed help doing it. After consulting with my doctor, we decided that a revision to DS would help me get there and it has!  Good luck on your journey!!

prosperiti
on 1/7/11 1:52 pm - Taylor , MI
Hi Nmroxie, I have similar situation, I had a revision from a RNY to BPD/DS, I still have my pouch with a DS re-routed intestines, I had mine done 2/2/10, 11 months ago and I have loss 110 pounds, I have about 25 more to go to reach my goal, I am truely pleased with my revision as well, however I also have a hernia, and my Dr. told me the same thing, so far it does not bother me, its annoying because it sticks out while everything else is flat, but not a big concern. I am also exercising everyday, I love the eliptical, I do about 45min to 1hr daily. Looks like we are going to reach goal this time and stay there (never to look back)..good to hear that you are doing well..oh one question, do you have to increase your calcium since having the switch?

nmroxie
on 1/12/11 10:00 am - Lake Dallas,, TX
Thanks for your note! So glad to hear things are going well for you too. The hernia situation will eventually have to be taken care for me, but like you, it doesn't me enough to have another surgery right now!

I don't take any more calcium than I did before the surgery.  I had a bone density test before the surgery and was actually above average for my age (51) so that was good.  

Let's try and keep in touch to stay encouraged until we reach our goals okay?  Take care and thank again for your message!

Shavonne P.
on 1/12/11 6:53 am
Hello all! It was good reading this because I have a consult with a surgeon next week to see about getting a revision from RNY to DS. I never made it to goal.  I went from 382 to 197 now at 280.  My concern is because there isn't actually anything "wrong" with the surgery that insurance won't approve it.  Did insurance cover your revisions?

Thanks in advance!
nmroxie
on 1/12/11 10:03 am - Lake Dallas,, TX
Wow, your numbers were almost exactly like mine!  Yes, Aetna did cover my surgery so that was a blessing. I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise.  I left all that up to the doctor's office and appreciate all they did to get it covered.  I did have to see th dr. for a 3 month period before they turned in all the paperwork.  Do you know for sure your insurance won't cover it?

Let me know how you are doing okay? Thanks for your note!

Shavonne P.
on 1/12/11 10:20 am
Good evening!

I don't know for sure if they will or will not cover it.  I got my benefit info from BCBS with the criteria, and it says they don't cover revisions for weight gain due to a stretched pouch because it's not medically necessary.  Not sure how much my pouch is stretched. I will do an upper GI next Friday morning so the surgeon will have the results by the time I have my consultation that afternoon.

When I was speaking to the woman at the surgeons office and asked her about approval and how I hear its hard to get revisions approved and she said as long as I meet the criteria, she isn't worried. She sounds very confident.  So we shall see! Thank you for getting back to me.
Shavonne P.
on 1/12/11 10:22 am
I also wonder if being almost 9 years post-op RNY would work in my favor because it has been some time.  It's not like its been just a couple years.
Most Active