Looing into a revision

Willow12763
on 1/4/11 9:12 am - NY
Thanks for the info and yes I have been reading past ones. Since the Ins does not cover it then I will not be getting it. I did not even call my Dr back at this point. I will keep working it and see how it goes....

Thanks for the info!
Debra P.

RNY 6/6/2005, Surgery weight was 290 lbs
Lost 140 Lbs (down to 150 lbs)
Regained 80 lbs (back to 230 lbs)

Re-lost 7 lbs (now 223 3/3/11 and moving down )   
prosperiti
on 1/4/11 1:09 pm - Taylor , MI
Hi Willow, there are successful revisions out here from RNY to other procedures...I am one of them, I did a lot of research and had a great Dr.. I have lost 110 pounds, it's been 11 months, as you may know revisions may lose weight slower than new initial surgeries...but I am very pleased...don't give up.. and my insurance approved it in less than a month (went to consultation in Dec. was approved for surgery in 3 weeks, surgery was scheduled for Feb. 2, 2010). Keep the faith..God bless.
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/4/11 7:42 pm - Mexico
On January 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM Pacific Time, prosperiti wrote:
Hi Willow, there are successful revisions out here from RNY to other procedures...I am one of them, I did a lot of research and had a great Dr.. I have lost 110 pounds, it's been 11 months, as you may know revisions may lose weight slower than new initial surgeries...but I am very pleased...don't give up.. and my insurance approved it in less than a month (went to consultation in Dec. was approved for surgery in 3 weeks, surgery was scheduled for Feb. 2, 2010). Keep the faith..God bless.

What revision did you have if I may ask?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
prosperiti
on 1/6/11 1:51 pm - Taylor , MI
I had the BPD/DS revision, this is where the pouch from the RNY stays in tact, and the intestines is re-routed like the DS and the common channel is shortened.
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/6/11 9:36 pm - Mexico
On January 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM Pacific Time, prosperiti wrote:
I had the BPD/DS revision, this is where the pouch from the RNY stays in tact, and the intestines is re-routed like the DS and the common channel is shortened.

Question for you, I know there is a great deal of controversy in the DS community about revising to DS while leaving a bypassed pouch intact.  If you had it to do over again, would you add the additional risk of taking down your pouch and revising to a sleeved stomach, would you?  Or would you opt for the same technique as you currently have?

prosperiti
on 1/7/11 12:36 pm - Taylor , MI
Hi Wasabubblebutt, if I had no choice in having my pouch taken down and converted into a sleeve I would have done it without question; because for one, I trusted my Dr. he was excellent in explaining to me what the procedure would be in both cases. Because my pouch still provided restriction, I still could not eat large amounts, I did not stretch out my stoma, or pouch. I had an EGD which showed things were fine, I was still given the option, and I opted to keep my pouch I figured (if it aint broken don't fix it), along with less risk. I know it may seem crazy but I still will get the dumping syndrome if I eat too much sugar and I kinda like that because it forces me to stay away from sweets. This is another reason I wanted to keep my pouch. The only difference is I have to make sure that I am taking my vitamins correctly, I now have to take more calcium, and vit D3, A&D (water soluble), I don't absorb fats like I used to; where with the RNY I just took a multivit and Iron pill. but now there is more malabsorbtion and a shorter CC, its a big difference. But I would do it this way if I had the choice all over again because it works for me and I just feel great. Thanks for asking, what revision did you have, if you don't mind me asking?
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/7/11 12:39 pm - Mexico
On January 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM Pacific Time, prosperiti wrote:
Hi Wasabubblebutt, if I had no choice in having my pouch taken down and converted into a sleeve I would have done it without question; because for one, I trusted my Dr. he was excellent in explaining to me what the procedure would be in both cases. Because my pouch still provided restriction, I still could not eat large amounts, I did not stretch out my stoma, or pouch. I had an EGD which showed things were fine, I was still given the option, and I opted to keep my pouch I figured (if it aint broken don't fix it), along with less risk. I know it may seem crazy but I still will get the dumping syndrome if I eat too much sugar and I kinda like that because it forces me to stay away from sweets. This is another reason I wanted to keep my pouch. The only difference is I have to make sure that I am taking my vitamins correctly, I now have to take more calcium, and vit D3, A&D (water soluble), I don't absorb fats like I used to; where with the RNY I just took a multivit and Iron pill. but now there is more malabsorbtion and a shorter CC, its a big difference. But I would do it this way if I had the choice all over again because it works for me and I just feel great. Thanks for asking, what revision did you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for explaining.

Me... band to sleeve revision.  I heart my sleeve.

Willow12763
on 1/4/11 7:50 pm - NY
Thanks again hun for being so positive, I see more of that is needed around these boards. LOL

I am reseaching more options and I am sure I will find my way with positive support and friendships.

Thanks again and this site is very important to hear the good and the bad on procedures so I am very thanksful for BOTH the good and the bad.

Debra P.

RNY 6/6/2005, Surgery weight was 290 lbs
Lost 140 Lbs (down to 150 lbs)
Regained 80 lbs (back to 230 lbs)

Re-lost 7 lbs (now 223 3/3/11 and moving down )   
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/4/11 7:40 pm - Mexico
On January 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM Pacific Time, baileymouse wrote:
Seriously, Willow, don't waste your money. It doesn't work and insurance won't cover it because it doesn't work. There are lots of threads further back on the revision board where people talked about getting it. The only really positive posts were from fake patients - people who suddenly registered out of nowhere, had no OH history, and came straight to the revision board to give a glorious review.

The real people who fell for the procedure were so disappointed. It's terrible.

I'd see other surgeons just to get a comparison. Don't settle.

Yep, and they all went to Dr. Garber.  They all signed up that day, they all had Dr. Garber, they all did well, they all never posted again.

Most Active