$500 non-refundable fee????

VBG_1998
on 1/3/11 10:54 am, edited 1/3/11 9:57 pm
Ok, I just got the revision packet from the surgeon's office I have been considering for my revision surgery. Overall, the packet is pretty standard, asks all the standard stuff for your background- but on the first page it states that there is a non-refundable $500 fee to cover costs NOT COVERED by insurance. They say it is to pay for them to submit the insurance approval, post-op (support group) and misc. fees.  They want it at the initial consult visit.  So, if I meet with him maybe 15 minutes- decide I don't like him, I am out the $500 ???  I don't think so.

I'm sorry, but even though this Dr. is FACS, ASMBS and I have check his state licensing board (no negative remarks), and has lots of people who have talked well of him. I don't know if this is a new fee to recoup costs that he doesn't get from the negotiated rates from the ins. companies, but it doesn't sit well with me.

Anyone ever heard of this?
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/3/11 1:24 pm - Mexico
On January 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM Pacific Time, VBG_1998 wrote:
Ok, I just got the revision packet from the surgeon's office I have been considering for my revision surgery. Overall, the packet is pretty standard, asks all the standard stuff for your background- but on the first page it states that there is a non-refundable $500 fee to cover costs NOT COVERED by insurance. They say it is to pay for them to submit the insurance approval, post-op (support group) and misc. fees.  They want it at the initial consult visit.  So, if I meet with him maybe 15 minutes- decide I don't like him, I am out the $500 ???  I don't think so.

I'm sorry, but even though this Dr. is FACS, ASMBS and I have check his state licensing board (no negative remarks), and has lots of people who have talked well of him. I don't know if this is a new fee to recoup costs that he doesn't get from the negotiated rates from the ins. companies, but it doesn't sit well with me.

Anyone ever heard of this?

A program fee is common but not one to file ins claims.  Sorry doc... that's called overhead. ;o)

I wouldn't pay it either.  You can find support groups for free.  I'd tell them you aren't paying it.  If they insist then find another doc.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active