Hi...Not sure what to do!

mzche1999
on 1/1/11 9:54 am
In a nutshell.  I had an RNY in 1999 ans weighed 519.  Got down to 249...had 2 miscarriages...infertility testing...and finally 2 babies 2 1/2 years apart.  Was at 313 with last birth in 2005. Have crept up to 339 and feel like such a failure that I don't know what to do.  I have tried Weigh****chers several times.  I did a 12 week class for WLS patients who were off track.  Have joined contours and hired a personal trainer.  Nothing seems to work.  I finally started thinking about a revision.  I had an endoscopy that shows my stoma is stretched. 
     The surgeon did not seem very optimistic about revisions as a whole and estiamtes that I might be able to lose another 40-50 lbs.  Not sure that I want to go through all that for 40-50lbs, but I am so TIRED of thinking about losing weight.  I have been reading about the new endoscopic procedure and wonder if I should just wait for it to get to my area.
      Anyway, my insurance requires 6 months of nutritionist visits and a bunch of other hoops.  I have lost 2 lbs.  I am supposed to start a protein fast next month, but I am not sure if I have it in me to do it. I love food....and love carbs.  Maybe this is it for me??  As good as it gets??  Why can't I comply??  Anyone else feel this way??

Hugs,
Chelle
hopingtolose
on 1/1/11 10:01 am - CA
Have you looked into a revison to a DS? Go to DSfacts.com and go to the DS board and you will find several people who have been through it already.
Hugs
Gina
ljordan
on 1/1/11 10:27 am - Great Mills, MD

Wow, I feel the same way..Is it for me? Why can't I comply? I had RNY and lost 112lbs, in the last year from working various shifts at a hospital , Pizza Cookies and Soda, found their way back in my diet. I am now back to 230lbs and I'm suppose to see my doctor on monday 1/3/11 to see how to get back on track. He doesnt' do revisions so I was thinking about finding
another surgeon who would do one but I don't feel like getting cut on everytime I gain weight...My thing is the surgeon fixed my stomach but I need one to fix my head..lol But don't be so hard on yourself, life is short we need to enjoy it...u ever see the shows on TLC the half ton dad? how do you think they feel?
so my thing is it could be worse.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/11 10:43 am - Bayonne, NJ
The malabsorptive component of RNY disappears after 18 mos - 2 years. If anything, it becomes even harder to keep weight off. The body compensates and draws even more from the food you eat. This was explained to me many years ago by the doctor who performed my original RNY. He said that there were many documented cases of intestines growing back.

The DS revision is tough to get since not many doctors are experienced in it, but it's well worth it to seek out one of the ones who do.

Try reading up at dsfacts.com and follow up on here with some of the DS revision people (like me).

I wish you the best, it's not easy, and an rny revision would probably only net that 40-50 lb weight loss, but a DS revision would give you the chance to lose much more.
Heather H.
on 1/1/11 11:19 am - IL

The reason's you have listed here among others are exactly why I am seeking a revision with the banding as opposed to the switches or another RNY.  I feel that the band will be more of a long term tool as opposed to the quick results from the others!  Good luck!

MsBatt
on 1/4/11 6:44 am
I hope you'll do a LOT more research before you go with the Band. The Band has the least long-term, maintained weight loss, AND the greatest likelihood of requiring a second surgery due to complications.

The DS is the form of WLS with the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss. Look at the stats for ten-year post-ops and you'll see what I mean.
Ladytazz
on 1/1/11 12:51 pm
There is no procedure that lets your malabsorb simple carbs. If there were I would have been first in line. Even with a DS you absorb simple carbs like sugar and bread 100%. I learned the hard way. I had a DS and regained my weight because I didn't give them up. I know some people say they can eat whatever they want including simple carbs and lose weight and bless them if they can but I don't think that is normal. They can operate on our stomach and intestines but we have to take care of our heads. If the reason you feel that you have regained is because of simple carbs look into therapy or Overeaters Anonymous first before you look into a revision. You may find that you don't need one after all. I wouldn't have gotten a revision at all if it weren't for bad side effects and malnutrition.
mzche1999
on 1/4/11 7:43 am
Thanks to all who have commented.  I am really usure if I will do a revision...then again, I go back and foward on the issue.  I have started the insurance requirements in hopes that something clicks.  I am seeing one of the doctor's about starting a modified fast protein diet.  Basically, it is all protein and veggies.  It is supposed to cause rapid weight loss.  I have serious reservations about whether I have the internal fortitude to do it, but I really want to challenge myself.  I would be thrilled just to get back under the 300 lb mark.

As for types of revisions.  I am against the band because of haveing the foreign matter in my body and having to get it adjusted. As far as the DS, I can't get down with the gas and stinky poop. No offense to those who have chosen that path...my poop smells bad enough as it is...lol.

I probably need to get into therapy.  I KNOW how to lose weight.  I did it before!  I know that I do the wrong things.  I have tried so hard to get back into working out, but it is so much harder now that I have kids...which is a copout.  I have been successful in just about everything I have ever put my mind to, why not this??

Hugs,
Chelle

PS Does anyone know if and where they are doing the endoscopic procedures?
Most Active