HELP ! Revision... Band to RNY or Sleeve ?

suzy72
on 1/1/11 3:21 am
Help me please.... I would like to have a revision from my Band. I have been at the same weight for over 1 year but have numerous fill and unfills and I have changed and increased my exercise and I watch very closely what I eat.  I have been at this weight many, many times before only to gain from here. I have a lazy metabolism. The doctor agrees. My body is very, very happy at this weight. I am not.
I have no co-morbidities. Which revision would be best for me...  RNY or sleeve ?  Please help me. Thank you.

Romy J.
on 1/1/11 5:58 am - Spring, TX
i have not studied up on the RNY... but as per my Dr.  He recommended the sleeve for me.   He does all surgeries.. so next i guess is that i need his REASON...  i have researched the sleeve.. and i think we are a right fit for eachother..     Im finally comfortable stating I am approved for surgery and hope February is my month!!
263pre    249SW   218CW   220 short term goal!! 
Next GOAL...  199!!

TamaraL
on 1/1/11 10:42 am
First you need to call your insurance and find out whether they cover revisions.  What revisions they will cover.  Some insurance companies have a exclusion that they will cover 1 surgery per lifetime and they will not cover some weight loss surgeries.

Second thing is find out what the guidelines are for having another surgery.  I had to have a BMI of 35 with co morbidities or 40 or above.  I still had pretty bad sleep apnea plus I had heart burn pretty bad. 

From your weight loss ticker it looks like you have lost really well so I would check with insurance first

Tamara

nortone
on 1/5/11 8:41 am
Hi Suzy,

Thanks for your question. I too am wondering the same thing!
I am on my second band and it has slipped and I am not sure what I want to revise too...I would love any info you get!!
I have researched both the sleeve and bypass and am not sure which direction to take.

Best of wishes to you!!
Erika
csanddex
on 1/7/11 10:32 am
I think the sleeve for 2 reasons. It is less invasive than rny and appears to have the same results. If god forbid you need another revision, the vsg is the first piece of the ds. Rny to ds is a complete redo with a high complication rate.
Most Active