Urg.....Decisions and Confusions

Amanda S.
on 12/30/10 9:20 pm - Fairfield, OH
Thank you for the information, Genepha. I am ONLY interested in the DS, and ONLY by a experienced DS surgeon. My appointment is with Dr. Schumacher in Dayton. I'm sorry if you're just a regular person posting, but in all honesty I do have to tell you that when I originally read your post it did sound like a sales pitch, so I'm not really surprised with what WASaBubbleButt wrote.
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/30/10 10:31 pm - Mexico
On December 31, 2010 at 5:20 AM Pacific Time, Amanda S. wrote:
Thank you for the information, Genepha. I am ONLY interested in the DS, and ONLY by a experienced DS surgeon. My appointment is with Dr. Schumacher in Dayton. I'm sorry if you're just a regular person posting, but in all honesty I do have to tell you that when I originally read your post it did sound like a sales pitch, so I'm not really surprised with what WASaBubbleButt wrote.

Doctors that ***** on message boards are like little Gods to some.  Posters actually believe they are there just volunteering time.  Look at Dr. Curry, his business was all but dead until he started whoring himself around OH.  Now that business is up and running, Curry is gone.  He got what he wanted.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
genepha
on 1/1/11 2:20 pm
Hi Amanda,
Hmm, well good luck to you. Just trying to help out since you asked about doctors near you.
I am in California and am hoping to have the sleeve or plication. I have a band that needs
to be removed but my band doctor is very negative about the sleeve. I agree that it's essential
that you find an experienced revision doctor. I am having a hard time with this as well.
I don't want to get a sleeve performed by a doctor that isn't 100% about it, so I am also
considering other doctors. 
Hope your appointment goes well and the DS works great for you! I like the DS a lot also
and considered it when doing my research. 
genepha
Amanda S.
on 1/2/11 12:07 pm - Fairfield, OH
Thanks, Genepha. Sorry if I came accross as rude. Good luck to you as well : )
Romy J.
on 12/29/10 11:26 am - Spring, TX
amanda... i swear i think i remember you from the lapband forum in 06????  do you remember me?
263pre    249SW   218CW   220 short term goal!! 
Next GOAL...  199!!

Amanda S.
on 12/30/10 9:15 pm - Fairfield, OH
Lol.... I'm sorry, Romy, I don't...........I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night, let alone 4 years ago ; ) hehe
Monique H.
on 12/31/10 3:13 am
I just wanted to say that I settled for my first revision and where did that leave me? Fighting for another one less than two years later.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
MsBatt
on 12/31/10 4:38 am
On December 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM Pacific Time, Amanda S. wrote:
I posted this to my blog as well. 

Please don't take any offense to anything I say on here. I know people like to defend their surgery choices. Ultimately, what's good for you isn't always good for everyone.

Okay, originally I wanted to get the DS. After researching and finding out that I'd have to travel to Dayton, I had it in my mind that there was no way I'd be able to go to Dayton for all of my appointments and for surgery. I have an unreliable vehicle, I'm a single Mom (so I can't just leave the baby at home w/ her Dad, and I have like zero PTO time at work ( I will have some built up by the time I'd have surgery, plus I have short term dissability). At least I can go to a surgeon here in Cincinnati on my lunch break. That solves the PTO issue, the sitter issue, and the car issue. So that left me settling for the RNY. 

I have been very skeptical of the RNY for like....ever, since I've seen several people not do well long term, and I see just as many RNYers on the Revision board as I do LapBanders. One of the main issues I have with RNY is that the negative effects (malabsorption of nutrients and no NSAIDS) last forever, but the benefits of malabsorbing food does not. I really want to think that once I lose the weight, that will be enough motivation to keep it off. The statistics just don't look that good though : (  

The decision to settle for RNY has been weighing very heavily on my mind. I don't want another WLS fail.

The thought that comes to mind is "third time's the charm". 

With what I've read about DS, you continue to malabsorb certain calories (mainly fat and complex carbs). That is a HUGE benefit. Certainly one that requires not looking over. My main focus is long term. I don't care if I weigh 160 next year if I'm going to be obese again in five years. That's much worse than just staying the way I am now. The statistics are clear, DS has much higher success rates long term for keeping the weight off. Seeing that my BMI is 50.9, DS seems to be the obvious choice. 

Another HUGE plus with DS is the sleeve. I would much prefer to have a sleeve than a pouch. For one, I'd hate to never have NSAIDs as an option again. I love the idea of getting rid of all of that extra grehlin creating tissue, and I feel much better knowing I'll still have my pyloric valve.   

I have an consult with the RNY surgeon on the 7th of Jan and a consult with the DS surgeon on the 13th. I really don't want to settle. I know I have to have surgery, I NEED help to lose this weight and to be healthier. If I can't have DS, I will end up having RNY. However, I owe it to myself to try my best to get the surgery that I feel is better for me.   

I still have much research to do on the DS. I'm still not 100% sure about what life with DS looks like as compared with RNY.  I know that there are issues with BMs and odor, especially with refined carbs/sugar. I'm worried about how that will effect me. If I'll have to make decisions based on the bathroom situation......like....oh, I don't want to stay the night at someone's house b/c of it or something. It's a huge impairment if I'm having to think of where the bathrooms are, and if I'm going to be embarrassed.  I still don't understand what foods DSers eat. I've seen that they eat bacon . I would assume if you don't absorb 80% of the fat, that fattening foods would make you have to use the bathroom more often. I mean, I kind of understand their diets revolve around protein. I also understand they fully absorb simple carbs. The rest...I'm not sure of. I'm going to have to do lots of reading!  

Who knows which surgery I'll end up with. I'm definitely hoping for DS though.

Any and ALL prayers are welcome. Please pray that things go smoothly, that I don't need to travel to Dayton a million times pre-surgery (or at least that my car doesn't explode on the way there), and that my insurance approves )! I would appreciate it very much!   Comments are very welcome!!!   (shout out to Candie, today's her surgery! Good luck girl, already said a prayer for you)
Most people do have to travel for a DS. I was lucky in that mine was only 2.5 hours away. Still, that was a far piece to go for many appointments, so---I discussed this with my surgeon's office, and they were GREAT about setting up multiple appointments for me on the same day, to cut down on trips. I went there once to meet with the surgeon, and had my psych evel the same day in the same building. Then I went back once more to do pre-admission testing, and the third trip was the surgery. I went back then at two weeks, six months, 12 months, and 18 months. Since then, I get all my routine labwork done locally, and fax it to my surgeon---but any real 'tweeking' that's needed is done by me and my PCP.

Don't settle for something other than what YOU want.

DSers contine to malabsorb fat, complex carbs, and protein, forever. Over time, we do tend to absorb a little more protein and complex carbs than we do immediately after surgery, but not much more. I'm certain that's why I, at seven years post-op, can eat 2500-3000 calories a day and stil maintain ALL my weight loss.

I can't really tell you the difference between life with the DS and life with the RNY. because I've never HAD the RNY. I do know that with my DS, I have, on average, 2 BMs every morning. That's it. Any diarrhea I've had has been due to illness/food poisoning, not my diet. Should I eat a LOT of fat, I will have softer stools, but not diarrhea. Gas? The first six months I had quite a bit. Since then, I have less gas than I did pre-op. But if i overindulge---a LOT---on white flour, the scent will be more...vigorous. (*grin*) I'm not generally troubled by wondering whre the bathrooms are, or if my gas is going to embarrass me. I often spend the night away from home.

As for what DSers eat---everything. I don't think any two of us eat exactly alike, because we're all individuals. Some get gas from veggies, others from pasta, some from dairy. Have you tried reading the Bites and Vites threads? I think they're a daily thing on the DS board.

Today, I have eaten;

Breakfast: Ham, cheese, and tomato omlette (2 eggs)

2nd breakfast: (Just like a Hobbit) about 4 ounces of ham chunks, dipped in honey mustard

Lunch: Home-made chili, sprinkled with cheese.

Snack: 2 slices of deli turkey, wrapped around deli pepperoni, and three dates.

Dinner will be a chicken breast, cut small and flash-fried in butter. Then I'll dump in some slightly-steamed cauliflower and some Catalina dressing, and coo****il the cauliflower is as done as I like. I'll eat this with some plain ol' white rice.

Evening snack: Whatever's handy. I will eat a high-protein SOMETHING just before I go to bed---I don't like to wake up hungry. (*grin*)
Amanda S.
on 12/31/10 12:46 pm - Fairfield, OH
Thank you so much for your response. I DEFINITELY want DS!
I <3 the hobbit reference. lol
MsBatt
on 1/1/11 4:43 am
LOL! I'm also very short and have big feet. They're not hairy, though.
Most Active