Anyone successful with Revision getting paid for by Kaiser?

hopingtolose
on 12/27/10 10:21 am - CA
I currently have the lapband and am having horrible complications from it. I want to get it taken out and have a revision to the DS. I was talking to someone and they said good luck Kaiser does not pay for revisions. Now I am stressing. Anyone successful?
Thanks
Gina
Hislady
on 12/28/10 5:44 am - Vancouver, WA
Well there's only one way to find out for sure and avoid the stress of speculation and that's to pick up the phone and call them. Even better have them send you a copy of their coverage (in case there is a question later). Good luck cause I think bands should be banned.
hopingtolose
on 12/28/10 6:56 am - CA
Contacted the Bariatrics Coordinator and she said it is a case by case decesion. She said if it is for medically necessity more then likely, if purely for weightloss with no other problems more then likely no.
I don't know why I did not think to call them!LOL
Gina
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/28/10 11:37 am - Mexico
You are in CA, I believe Diana Cox wrote at one time that the law is on your side. Can you contact her? She is an attorney that will help you get your DS pro bono.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
hopingtolose
on 12/28/10 11:35 pm - CA
Oh that is excellent! Thanks I will get in contact with her once I go to my Pcp on the 7th and find out where they are.
Gina
celticlassie
on 12/30/10 5:25 am, edited 12/30/10 5:25 am - Garden Grove, CA
Hi Gina

I have Kaiser Socal and I am going through the process of  having a revision.  I saw Dr. Belzberg at Harbor Southbay which is where they send Kaiser patient's for revision's and he issued me a referral to the Options classes and then said once I am done with the classes to come back and  he would do my surgery.
Let me also say on the DS board I was told that I should start by appealing Kaiser which I did, I called up member services to appeal the Options classes (to get out of them) and also to appeal to get a DS because Kaiser said they didn't do them.  That's the reason I got an appointment with the surgeon so quickly. 
He told me that I should go through the Options classes because I didn't want to be known as a "problem" case or something like that and when I was done and to come back and he would do the surgery on me.  The appeals person called me afterwards and I withdrew my appeal and the Dr. issued me a referral for the classes.  You can go to your regular Dr. and they will issue you a referral for the Options classes, I know a lot of people don't see the need for them, but I am going to go and see what's up.  I need all the help I can get at this point. 

Mandy
Most Active