Where to begin?

kim W.
on 12/21/10 2:44 am - west des moines, IA
I went to see Dr. Anthone last week about getting a revision from RNY to DS. While talking to him he started to tell and draw what he was reading off my surgery notes from the RNY. I really liked his personallity and he was very informative. BUT...I was warned that he would try and scoot me towards the ERNY. He did.
I was not too scared but I did have a lot of questions to follow up on if he did try telling me the ERNY and no DS.
He was great, because of my surgery notes and the fact that I really dont have to may protein issues (as in eating meat) he is going to do a ERNY. I was at first really dissapointed but I have desided that it is what it is. But he did say if the Upper GI shows something different that I might still be able to get the DS.

So tomorrow I have my Upper GI scan. At the first of the year he will be submitting to insurance for a panni, revision and a hernia repair.
Ready to get this show on the road.

I would love to get a DS but if my surgery notes are true then I can not get one. He did say that I could try and talk with Dr. K about it but he said more than likely would say the same thing. But this is all based off my surgery notes. I am hoping that the upper GI shows something else. We will c.
Now for a ERNY it looks like it all depends on the CC just like the DS. Where the CC is measured out. Has anyone told there surgeon to stretch the farthest or how did they explain how they are going to measure your CC?

Start-Revision RNY 02/17/2012- 402#, 2 months- down 55 #, 3 months-339

MsBatt
on 12/21/10 6:01 am
Could yu give more detail on why he thinks yu can't have a true DS? I'm very curious about this.

When I had my DS, mu surgeon measured the full length of my small intestine, then divided it 60/40. The lower 40% became my alimentary limb, the upper 60% became my bilio-pancreatic limb, and he made my CC 90 cms. (My original small intestine measured 690 cms.)
kim W.
on 12/21/10 6:14 am - west des moines, IA
While he was reading the surgery notes he was saying the RNY was created at the high end of everything, also too text book. He was saying that if this was true then he would have a hard time recreating the pouch for the sleeve portion. 
I instantly thought this was a deversion, asked a few other questions and he thought that there might be something going on there that he might not be able to fix. Hense me getting the upper GI to hopefully find out more. 

Emily F.
on 12/23/10 10:39 am
You REALLY REALLY need to post this on the ds board!!
larra
on 12/24/10 12:17 am - bay area, CA
Kim, with no disrespect to Dr. Anthone, I would advise you to get a second opinion from either Dr. Keshishian or Dr. Rabkin. Dr. Anthone is a highly regarded DS surgeon and much loved by his patients, but he is, to my knowledge, steering away from full RNY to DS revisions and towards ERNY, and not just for you.
     Once you have the upper GI done, that would be the time to discuss what is or isn't possible with both Dr. Anthone and one of the top RNY to DS revision surgeons. Consider both the risks of the surgery itself, and also the longterm results you can anticipate not just for weight loss but also for nutrition and quality of life. We've seen people on the DS forum who have had serious complications from RNY to DS revisions. But we've also seen people with ERNY who had to have a third operation, NOT for weight loss but because of the serious longterm health problems they had from ERNY.
      Know all your options, consider both the potential risks and potential benefits of each option, and then decide who will do your surgery and what operation it will be.
    And as others have recommended, come on over to the DS forum and learn all you can about it. We have folks there who have had RNY to DS revisions and you can ask them about their experiences with it.
    Best wishes to you.

Larra
berryphila
on 12/27/10 10:20 am - Cherry Hill, NJ

hi.  my name is barbara.  i had rny in august 2003.  did very well for first 3 years, but over the next 4 years re- gained the weight. this is my first posting. i am hoping to have a revision, but don't know that much about it.  what are the different procedures and how do you know which to ask for?  Any information will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

berryphila
on 12/27/10 10:30 am - Cherry Hill, NJ

hi-- this is barbara, again.  i had RNY in august 2003.

kim W.
on 12/27/10 11:14 am - west des moines, IA
I have been reading a lot from posts on the revision board and the DS forum on what people are having issues with and seeing that I am like some of them. You can learn a lot from other peoples troubles/issues. I am pretty strong minded and want to make sure I am doing the correct thing for me.
I just hate that at this time I do not have that many options for what doctor I can go to. What matters most is that I am doing something about my situation before it gets even more out of control.
I would watch the posts on revision and DS forums and take a look at dsfacts.com. There is a grfeat deal of info about DS and ERNY.
Good luck
kim W.
on 12/27/10 11:21 am - west des moines, IA
Had upper GI and it wasnt that bad. The doc was a great lady. She thought it was interesting that the barium was not emptying out very fast. Asked a few times if I was full,felt somewhat. I got to watch the screen and see everything. It was a learning day at the hospital, I never really knew where everything is compared to oter body parts. My pouch doesnt look to large but she did say it was larger than a newbie. So that made me a little happy to know I didnt stretch it out too much. So now to talk to Dr.A about the opening.
Most Active