where do i start??

* twinsmommii83 *
on 12/20/10 11:05 am - Penns Grove, NJ
Revision on 05/24/13
Had rny 2yrs ago, I started out @355lbs and currently 248lbs....I still have about 90-100lbs to go to my dr. and my personal goal where do I start to have revision surgery

planning for rny revision

mommy to boy/girl twins

Lykayla & Lyddan III

Fatnomore2010
on 12/20/10 1:11 pm, edited 12/20/10 1:11 pm - CA
Are you having complications now or are you just at a platau?  It seems as if you've had considerable succees with the Roux-en-Y.  My understanding is that revision surgeries are generally only done for complications such as vomiting, inadequate weight loss, mechanical failure with the operation or something like that.  You are down 100lbs +  in two years that is good weight loss but what are you eating?  Remember the Roux-en-Y surgery provides a tool to to help one loose about 70% of their excess weight that means if you are100lbs overweight  you can expect to lose about 70lbs. I don't know what your height is so I can't do the math for your situation.  I will say this though, keep a food diary for two weeks straight.  Write down everything and I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, you eat and drink not matter what it is.  Estimate the portions as best as you can and then at the end of two weeks, add up your daily calorie totals. I'll bet you might be surprised at what you learn.  I know that I was when I did this. 

If you want to do research on revision surgery this site is a good place to start.  Otherwise I'd say call Bariatric Support International and ask Collen Cook for a recommendation for an experienced revision surgeon.  If you don't want to do that, you can always consult  the Americcan Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons.   www.asmbs.org/
StacysMom
on 12/20/10 2:19 pm
The statistics that I've read (including on Dr. Oz's show) mostly say that the RNY surgery is good for losing  around 50% of one's excess weight.  It's the DS surgery that gets the 70-80% statistic.    The problem is that, since only very view doctors perform the DS surgery, they don't even tell patients about it and it is not even presented as an option at their introductory seminars.  All they offer is the RNY, Lapband, and more recently, the Sleeve. 

This RNY was successful - 50% weight loss (this is in the long run, including the bounceback weight after the "honeymoon" period is over) is the best you can expect from the RNY surgery!
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/10 9:21 am
I also had my wls 2 1/2 years ago.  I lost 85 lbs and I am scheduled to have a revision February 2011.  I read a lot and educated myself on the gastric bypass, if you are not happy with your results talk to your surgeon. 

I never reached my goal weight and when I had an endoscopy it showed the opening to my pouch being enlarged.  I went to my surgeon and explained my concerns regarding weight gain (I gained 6 lbs) and he decided to do a minor revision to my opening. 

Please, schedule an appointment with your wls surgeon and discuss your concerns.  If he's a good doctor he will listen and help you get back on track.

My husband also had wls 2 1/2 years ago, he lost 120 lbs but never reached his goal.  He has another 100 lbs to lose and he's having a revision done January 2011.  Help is out there if you want it, don't be afraid to make the first move. Call your surgeon's office and schedule an appointment.

Good luck.

Sherline
StacysMom
on 12/21/10 9:39 am
 If the "minor" adjustment your surgeon is doing to your pouch is called the "Stomaphyx" or the ROSE or the RESTORE, don't bother.  These endoscopic (through the mouth) procedures don't work.  Many people have posted about them (just to a search of this board) and not ONE of them had any success.  They lost weight due to the pre and post op diet, but then gained it all back plus  more once they went back to regular eating.   Apparently the clips (Stomaphyx) and the sutures (ROSE, RESTORE) loosen or come apart and the restriction is lost.   The doctors are still pushing these surgeries because they've already paid many thousands for the equipment and have to recoup some of that investment.  

Those who were unsuccessful went on to have lapbands placed over their pouches and this was met with varying success.  Some had the ERNY which was also met with varying success - and the jury is still out on the long term effectiveness.
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/10 10:02 am
Thank  you for the information, but I am not having the stomaphyx or the rose procedure.  It's a laparoscopic procedure, same as the original bypass.  He explained it to me, but I was more concerned with my husband's surgery since it's before mine that I really don't remember all the details.  When I go for my next meeting with him on January 19th I will post the proper name and procedure.

Sherline
Most Active