Thin pouch/stomach lining? RNY to RNY Revision?

Texas_Saphire
on 12/27/10 11:37 pm - McAllen, TX
Lisa N:

That is exactly what I am having done. Basically a RNY again. Of course, if i don't follow the plan in 5 years I will be in the same situation again. I am hoping all goes well the 2nd time around.

WASaBubbleButt
on 12/30/10 12:10 pm - Mexico
On December 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM Pacific Time, Karen H. wrote:
I am wanting to have the stomophyx is this the rose procedure? If so I don't want my pouch streatching out again and maybe thinning. But I have gained all the weight back I had lost, I have to do something. Once again my arthritis and weight are causing health problems again.

Stomaphyx doesn't work any better than ROSE does.  It's the same story, you lose about 20# on the post op diet and as soon as you start on solids you regain it all back.

Please don't waste your money on this before going back and finding all the Stomaphyx threads you can find and see for yourself.  Not a single one was successful.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
LosingSally
on 1/4/11 9:55 am
One thing to consider is that you have your entire stomach still available. Should things thin out, a new pouch can always be made laproscopically ( did I spell that right???)
Not suggesting it's that easy, or a cakewalk, but when you think that you  have whatever stomach tissue left from RNY, it may be one of the only positives to the deal.
The old BPD used to make a pouch like RNY, and remove the leftover stomach, and then make a very short common channel. 
 The current RNY disects the pouch away from the stomach, staples both completely seperate, and leaves the remnant stomach in place, and generally makes a much longer common channel.  
This has a disadvantage that it's harder to look at that remnant in case of problems, but it also leaves you with tissue to use should your pouch become unusable from being revised, or other trauma, or issues.
The remnant stomach also has the most Ghrelin producing cells, which is a hunger harmone, but all in all, I would probably think about a pouch redo, along with a new tiny stoma, but probably also consider a revision to DS as well.
Why? Because DS seems to do better on maintaining weight loss. Not perfectly, nothing's perfect, and anyone can outeat any surgery, I've seen it done. But that short common channel means a lot for staying at a lower weight. Some rebound seems likely with all surgeries, but 10-20 pounds without continuing to gain seems reasonable as we grow older ( those of us over 50, and menopausal).
As for metabolism, most of us blew that through the years.  If you're young, you can work on that with eating upon waking, and making sure you eat foods that help your body burn calories. For older women, it's more of a challenge, but I've seen several on here lose even after a few years.
So don't dispair, there is something for you, just take your time, and choose what you can live with and work with, because there may be a limit to revisions possible.
Best wishes!
Texas_Saphire
on 1/5/11 12:27 am - McAllen, TX
Thank you all!
southernbelle2
on 5/29/11 11:39 pm
My first RNY was done wrong back in 2005.  The pouch was never small enough.  I've suffered by beating myself up that I had this surgery and could never lose the weight.  Now, 6 years later I find that the pouch was not done correctly and I need revision surgery.

Problem is, who will do it?  Not many I suspect.  I've already talked to several.

Does anyone know of a good surgeon who is open-minded and will take me on?

Preferrably in IN, MI or OH

Thanks
Lisa N.
on 1/9/11 9:13 am - Williston Park, NY
 Hi,

I just saw my surgeon on Wednesday and he told me that he had to redo everything.  My bypass was never done the right way the first time.  I never had any problems after my first bypass.  I was able to advance to each stage.  But when my mom saw me eat a whole bagel, she knew something was wrong. I had this 2nd bypass done by the surgeon that operated on my cousins and I notice a complete difference.  I can't eat as much, I can get sick easily (b/c my pouch is so much smaller) 
   Lisa
Most Active