Thin pouch/stomach lining? RNY to RNY Revision?

Texas_Saphire
on 12/20/10 1:19 am - McAllen, TX
Hi all,

Anyone heard of stomach lining/pouch becoming thin if you have a revision?

I am looking into a revision. I didn't opt for a band over bypass.

My doctor said another option was basically making my pouch smaller like my original bypass. I guess basically its an RNY to RNY Revision.

I have read all the revision procedure out there but have not really found much research material regarding this revision.

I have another appointment on Jan. 3...to discuss this more and schedule a surgery date.

Basically, my pouch has stretch...the doctor will go in and cut pouch and make it smaller. My concern is (and i will be asking doc)...what are the dangers of pouch being thin and obviously with time naturally stretching some. Does anyone know of this? Have any comments? Websites where I may find anything on this and possible dangers/side affects?

Thank you,
Mayra

happygirl01
on 12/20/10 8:57 am
I am thinking about revision to..it is called the rose procedure where they go down the esophogus and staple again but it is out patient..and sounds much simpler..but all I read is that it does not work ..do you know anyone who has had it done..I lost so much and then gaining it back..I have had health problems and injury and complete hip replacement and havent been able to exercise..bored and eat..viscious cycle..I am so depressed about my weight gain and can tell a difference in my pain in my joints much worse..take care and good luck..Merry Christmas.

Vicki
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/25/10 8:03 am - Mexico
On December 20, 2010 at 4:57 PM Pacific Time, happygirl01 wrote:
I am thinking about revision to..it is called the rose procedure where they go down the esophogus and staple again but it is out patient..and sounds much simpler..but all I read is that it does not work ..do you know anyone who has had it done..I lost so much and then gaining it back..I have had health problems and injury and complete hip replacement and havent been able to exercise..bored and eat..viscious cycle..I am so depressed about my weight gain and can tell a difference in my pain in my joints much worse..take care and good luck..Merry Christmas.

Vicki

The ROSE procedure really doesn't work.  Go back and search thread titles and you will find the same thing time and time again, people lose about 20# on the post op diet and as soon as they start on solids they regain that 20#. 

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
sheilashoppps
on 12/27/10 3:08 pm - williamston, SC
Are you talking about revising the original RNY procedure? How dangerous is that? My Surgeon mentioned a redo, I have gained back 60 of the 160 I lost and am freaking out!
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/27/10 3:11 pm - Mexico

The problem is, even if you do fix the pouch issue that does not change that 2-3 years post op RNY you are metabolically challenged.  Would you agree that losing a pound today is not like losing a pound pre op?  It's usually much harder.  So you can fix the pouch and stoma but you are still metabolically challenged.

Another issue, you can redo the pouch/stoma but in 5 years or so you'll be in the same exact position that you are now and you can only fix that pouch so many times before there just isn't enough stretched tissue to work with.

Considered DS?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
MsBatt
on 12/21/10 6:04 am
I *think* what you're thinking about is that your present pouch tissue has stretched, and that's made it thinner than your original stomach tissue was. I don't know if that same tissue will stretch AGAIN if they just cut your pouch down, or what the effects of it stretching might be.
Erin K.
on 12/22/10 9:03 am - NY
My stoma is dialted so I am opting for a band over byass. My sugreon said If my pouch was enlarged he would redo my bypass so I assume thats what he plans on doing for you. He did not  mention any thinning of the pouch just that in 10 years I might me back in the same place if I opted for a redo.

As for the ROSE is does not work at all!!! I had it done almost 2 years ago trying to avoid a major surgery i lost 25 lds only beacuse your on liquids and puree for 8-12 weeks. Once you start eating again you put it right back on. It did not change my restriction at all.

Good luck!!
Lisa N.
on 12/23/10 4:47 am, edited 12/23/10 4:48 am - Williston Park, NY
 On 11/29 I had my RNY revised back to an RNY.  My surgeon explained to me, that my pouch had stretched, the stoma had also stretched. He explained that he was going to make me a new pouch and stoma, a new connection and he removed the other portion of my stomach.  My surgeon never mentioned to me that my pouch would become thinner if he was making me a new one.
   Lisa
berryphila
on 12/29/10 9:00 am - Cherry Hill, NJ
Lisa:

What were your symptoms that allowed for the revision?  My RNY went fine-- I had no complications and to this day have had no problems-- my problem is that I allowed myself to regain all the weight.  I am right back where I started 7 years ago.  Will the insurance company (Keystone Health East) approve  a revision of some type?  Thanks.
Karen H.
on 12/27/10 11:30 am
I am wanting to have the stomophyx is this the rose procedure? If so I don't want my pouch streatching out again and maybe thinning. But I have gained all the weight back I had lost, I have to do something. Once again my arthritis and weight are causing health problems again.

..."Let Us Love The World To Peace"...

Most Active