Went for my second opinion

Michelle F.
on 12/17/10 9:51 am
I had my second opinion with Dr. Roslin at Lennox Hill in NYC and I think I'm going to use him to do my band to sleeve revision surgery.  I decided (and Dr. Roslin agreed with me) that my band has run it 's course and repairing it isn't the right thing for me.  He said that I could stay the way I am as my BMI is overweight but not MO, but without a WLS, I know that I will become obese again, so I am choosing to revise to the sleeve.  He agrees that if I want to revise to a WLS, the sleeve is the best choice for me.

Unfortunately I have to jump through the insurance hoops again...nutritionist consult, psychiatric evaluation, etc, before they submit to insurance approval.  Not to mention my 91 year old father is dying of renal failure (it could be a week, it could be 2-3 months) so I can't really schedule a surgery because I can't be in the hospital when he dies.  So I'm figuring this will happen around March.  I was such a nervous wreck today, my normal 100/65 blood pressure was 140/90 when I went into the exam room!

I do feel much better after seeing him and knowing that I have an experienced revision surgeon, especially one who has done WLS on people I know personally!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

MARIA F.
on 12/17/10 11:52 am - Athens, GA
Sorry you r having to go through so much! I wish u the best with your revision!!!
Michelle F.
on 12/18/10 4:06 am
Thank you Maria.  I feel so much better after talking to someone experienced in revision surgery, I really do think the sleeve will be the best thing for me now long term.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/10 10:59 am - Bayonne, NJ
All the best to you. I hope that the insurance approval goes well. If the band needs to be repaired/replaced, your insurance should approve a revision.  Which insurance do you have? Horizon BCBS paid for my revision in full.

I'm sorry you're going through all of this, and I hope that when it is his time, your father passes peacefully.
randy S.
on 12/22/10 6:04 am - brooklyn, NY
Hi, I also Have BCBSHorizon NJ PPO and had an appt. Dr. Greenbaum to revise me from a 1998 rny.  He was great but I will have to convince him that I want the full DS not the erny.  I remember what you said about every bodies insides being different but he did say that if I really wanted it he can do it. (The full ds I mean)
I  had my sleep study yesterday and for sure have sleep apnea.  Upper g.i and swallow and bloods where also drawn.
Could you give me any pointers on how to go about getting approved for a revision since we both have the same insurance. I weigh 250 a bmi of 36.5.  I regained from 198.  Original s.w. in 1998 was 326.
Also has your weight continued to slow or did it pick up speed. Not to say that you have not made unbelievable progress.  OMG, I wish I weighed what you weigh now.
Thanx.
Most Active