Lap Band After Gastric Bypass

Christine T.
on 12/16/10 2:29 am - NV
 Has anyone had a Lap Band placed over there RYN? I am 8 years post op and have had a bit of "typical" gain. However I never reached my goal weight and I am considering / looking in to this. Any advise and experience would be great!

Thanks,
Christine
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/16/10 2:33 am - Mexico
On December 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM Pacific Time, Christine T. wrote:
 Has anyone had a Lap Band placed over there RYN? I am 8 years post op and have had a bit of "typical" gain. However I never reached my goal weight and I am considering / looking in to this. Any advise and experience would be great!

Thanks,
Christine

It isn't a very effective way to lose weight but it's totally possible.

Consider this, according to the band makers the average band person only loses about 30% of their excess weight long term.  YOU are already metabolically challenged and you will have a harder time losing it than a virgin bandster.

How much do you want to lose?  What is your current BMI?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
100togo4me
on 12/16/10 3:07 am
Nope, have not. Why? I regained all of my RNY weight, keeping in mind that RNY allows for both restriction and malabsorption (which can change over time). Eventually it came down to me not doing my part, my surgeon not doing his part, and the mechanics of the surgery adapting. The body is dynamic! I found that my pouch, while still having so-so restriction had an enlarged stoma. Not entirely my fault, because the stoma can enlarge even for the most devout adherents. However, my surgeon was not consistent in stoma size. The size of the stoma differed among his patients. The intestine became enlarged as well. So let's just assume that everyone involved in my surgery was 1/3 at fault. Ultimately I regained.

Now assume that I want a lap-band (which I did look in to). Mind you I already have so-so (but not great) restriction. The lap-band would only further the restriction that I already have. The lap-band would not change the stoma size, would not remove the intestine that has adapted and enlarged, and would not increase malabsorption. So really, for me personally, the lap-band would not have offered any significant advantage in losing weight. All the lap-band would do, for me, is allow me to feel full sooner, thus eating less.

That said, I had made contact with several doctors that BOB, band over bypass. Some patients and doctors don't find it to be a worthwhile endeavour, but all that is highly dependent on the patient, the doctor, and the anatomy. Though, I am not discounting the idea, it does seem like a good idea in some instances. If it is what you want, good luck. If something else comes along that might help you more than the band, good luck with that too!
Christine T.
on 12/16/10 5:27 am - NV
 My current bmi is 35.3. 8 years ago I got down to 165 lbs and maintained for a long time until the past few years. I am currently at 187. I would like to get off the rest of the weight i was never able to get off. To get to a healthy 135.  
csanddex
on 12/19/10 1:27 pm
I had one in June and have lost 40lbs. The research supports it. Look at some of my previous posts for research.
Courtney
on 1/2/11 3:58 pm - Falls Church, VA
I had some type of stomach-stapling procedure in 1982 (I was a minor and don't know much about the details) and I lost all excess weight but regained it completely by 15 years postop. After that, a few hard-won successes at losing the weight the old fashioned way, but for the most part my body likes to weigh in the 230s..
I am thinking of revision also; but I am terrified to attempt something like DS..I have already been the guinea pig once with this stuff..not doing it again. I did well when my stomach was restricted (now I can pretty much eat any volume of anything as long as meat is not involved) and also wonder if I could get a doc to do a lapband over my whatever it is that is there now? Is this done? I prefer to stay as-is if DS is the only option for me
Most Active