Severe Constipation!!

snedly318
on 12/14/10 10:58 pm - Mine Hill, NJ
Hello!  I just had on 12/6/2010 my revision of my stoma and pouch following Realize Band removal and RNY.

I have been home from the hospital for  a week now.  Still having significant pain.  Am taking Tramadol for moderate pain (during day) and percocet (1 tab at night) for severe pain.  As far as diet is concerned I am on full liquids.  It is difficult but I am getting 60g protein and 64 ounces of fluids.

My abdomen is distended and mishapen (protruding in the past two days on left side of umbilicus). I have no signs of infection, wounds look well and no fever.  I have not had a bowel movement.  I have passed gas and feel rumbly but no stool. I do not feel rectally impacted but feel I may be constipated higher up.   I have taken four doses over 5 days of miralax.  It hurts severely to strain so I don't.  I am seeing Dr. tomorrow.  Have any of you experienced this?  If I could eat I would eat corn and grains and be done with it but we that are immediately post wls have limited options.

HELP if you have any sure fire remedy or comforting words.

Thanks
Snedly318
RNY 8/2/2004  BOB (Realize Band) 11/24/2009  Revision of WLS 12/6/2010
Beginning weight 260
Lowest weight 146
Current weight 190
Snedly318
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/10 4:37 am

After my surgery I have taken Mylantin or Maalox and it served the purpose almost instantly.
Hope you feel better soon.

sherline

Ladytazz
on 12/15/10 4:45 am
My surgeon told me I could take a tablespoon of Milk of Magnesia a day. I don't take it that often now, only if I haven't gone in more then 2 days.
randy S.
on 12/15/10 6:21 am - brooklyn, NY
Hi,
Percocet extremely constipating.  I was told to take one to two colace a day to help me with my constipation.  good luck,  i am sorry you r in so much pain.
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/15/10 8:11 am - Mexico

It's the protein and pain meds.  Be really careful of laxatives while you are on narcotics.  Stool softeners are great but laxatives could prove dangerous especially if your stomach is distended.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
randy S.
on 12/15/10 8:43 am - brooklyn, NY
colace is the best stool softner, and believe me I have tried them all.  Do not go with laxative yet for sure.
Colace is expensve so ask for the generic maybe..  I use that ine and it works great. 
100togo4me
on 12/16/10 3:10 am
I mix generic fiber in to my protein shakes. I used to get bouts of obstipation and obstruction. The treatment was severely painful, as were the symptoms. Since adding the fiber supplement I no longer have to make sh*t shakes, which were a combination of generic Miralax in the shakes, accompanied by laxatives. Your situation is different, as mine was caused by a terrible combination of opiates with a neurological issue, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of not having your insides come out from straining too hard and the laxative buffet. Good luck, and good poopin'.
snedly318
on 12/17/10 12:19 am - Mine Hill, NJ
Thank you all for your help!  I would rather my pain have been constipation, but it wasn't.  First, the constipation issue - thank you all for your input.  I spoke with Dr. and he is not concerned about the lack of stool at this point.

Secondly, the source of my interminable pain is a (actually two) would infections!!!!!  The hard lump I thought was stool was a combination of pus and blood!  Go figure!  I am going to the doctors in a few minutes for the second wound for an I&D where they drain the wound and will pack it.  Wish me luck!

Snedly318
Most Active