?s for LB revision to RNY

Cheryl N.
on 12/14/10 9:03 am - Des Moines, WA
After being revised to RNY after lapband:

1.  Did you experience anymore PBs? 

2.  Did you still get those times of being tight like you did with lapband? 

Thanks!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

TamaraL
on 12/14/10 9:31 am
You really do not get tight like you do with the band.   Sometimes its hard to eat dry meat but you don't get that tightness around the esophagus.

I am able to eat anything.   I have gotten sick one time but it was my own fault.  I think I ate too fast or too much. 

RNY is more like normal eating!! you do not have a band trying to strangle the stomach and putting pressure on the esophagus!!

Tamara

ButterflyAna
on 12/15/10 2:04 pm - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I have to remove my band, I thought they could fix it but the insurace is saying that they will not repair or replace my band because I have just been too sick. They have refused the sleeve conversion. The only option I have left is the RNY. I am afaird of this but I have no other options, I will not gain any of my weight back, I would rather cut off my own foot. I am not sure that a dr will even allow a revision to RNY because I will have horrible scar tissue due to the fact that my band has been slipped for over a year before the Dr. discovered it. My ins gave me a case manager who suggested I think about the RNY conversion. I have already decided that if this is it, I will take it. My SIL had it done over 10 years ago and has nothing but problems. How are you doing, have you had a lot of complications.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

TamaraL
on 12/15/10 7:28 pm
I will be honest.  I have worked with a psychologist with my program since I decided to do the band to RNY conversion.  She sees this as a do over so I really try to do everything correct this time.  I ate a lot of peanut butter the first time and don't this time.  If I need a protien shake so I can get enough protien then I do it.  Your stomach is so small that you really can't over eat or atleast I can't.  

My biggest worry with the RNY was not to gain the weight back.  Yes you do have to watch what you eat.  I have reactive hypoglycemia so thank god I can't eat sweets or a unbalanced meal.  If I just eat potato soup then its too many carbs and I get sick.  I had reactive hypoglycemia for years before band and before bypass though.

My biggest advice is to stay focused on you and weigh weekly so you don't let the weight get away from you.  Also just to eat healthy but smaller amounts. on the RNY board sometimes I see people eating cookies, ice cream and I am like why did you have the surgery if you are going to eat that every day.  I live each day that I have reactive hypoglycemia and dumping syndrome so I really don't eat foods with sugar!!

I feel fantastic.  Honestly I woke up from the lap band to RNY surgery feeling great, laughing and talking to my family.  Within a couple of hours of waking I was walking the halls.  I walked the halls all evening and all night.  Slept the next day.  Morphine will not let me sleep. 

2FatintheOC
on 12/14/10 4:36 pm
Hi -  I'm also revising to RNY after a lapband (in January), and have the same questions you do!  It's hard to get anyone to tell me exactly what they feel after the band is gone, and what restriction with RNY is like.

Just tonight we went out to dinner, and once again, I ended up in the restroom, unable to keep down chicken or vegetables.  I'm praying that once I have the RNY I will actually be able to get through an evening without PBing and actually enjoy eating again (small amounts of course!)
TamaraL
on 12/15/10 5:59 am
I promise it is more like normal eating!!!!  Occasionally I have trouble eating something but no where like the band.  Its more like just hard to chew and swallow.  I had major tightness to the point my esophagus would close off.  Not no more and only occasional heartburn and that has been my fault

Tamara

terilynn112
on 12/14/10 11:52 pm - maryland, NY
i'm so totally with ya'll. My revision is schedued for 1-11-11

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

WASaBubbleButt
on 12/15/10 8:05 am - Mexico
I think you guys are beyond brave. After having a pouch and stoma with a band I swore I'd never do that again. My revision was to a sleeve and that was the primary reason. Had I not been at goal and wanted malabsorption I think I would have switched to DS. Never a stoma for me again!

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Hislady
on 12/15/10 8:13 am - Vancouver, WA
I'm so envious of you all revising, but I do sincerely wish you all the best!!!
tommie W.
on 12/16/10 8:21 am - Newton, TX
I'm no help, but I was revised 12-6-2010. Band to RNY.  I feel so much better.  I am still on liquids, but it goes down without a problem....
Most Active