revision from bypass to sleeve or DS- so confused

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/10 1:02 pm
After gaining must of my weight back I have been trying to find a doc on the east coast to do RNY to DS revisison. I can't find a good doc in my area and since I have no out of network coverage I'm just going to appointments without knowing much about these surgeons. I found Dr Inabnet in nyc *****commended a revision to the sleeve. He said that if the sleeve by itself didnt help me loose the weight we will go back in and revise the intestings and complete the "DS" I dont know what to think about this approach It makes me think these docs are laking the skills to do a full revision. He recommended this because he is trying to avoid complications since its such a risky revision.  I know I have the option to selfpay and fly to CA and get my full revision. Its a hard desicion bc its alot of money + all the expences and what if I have any complications after I'm back in NJ from CA, then what?  who will take care of me. my pcp can only do so much.... Im so confused and afraid. I'm not sure what I want. I only wish my isurance paid for Dr K or Dr Rabkin so I can have it done and move on. I'm contemplating the option of doing a 1/2 way revision just because thats what insurance will pay for.... Please reply if you've had rny to sleeve already or are about to do this. I know there are many who have had 2 and 3 revisions. I'm afraid this will fail me again and will be revision a 3rd time. I dont want to do that to myself and I cant keep putting my family tru all this again and again. please any advice for me... thnk u
MsBatt
on 12/14/10 5:15 am
The stomach part is the more risky part of a revision of the RNY to anything else, be it VSG or DS. I personally would go to CA and see either Rabkin or Keshishian, or go to AZ and see Husted. Right now, Inabnet has a patient in critical condition---have you been reading on the DS board? If not, you should be.
sosoclark
on 12/14/10 1:33 pm - Sacramento, CA
One thing about revision surgery is that one must go into it knowing that a fight may be necessary. I am 6 days out from my revision to DS, right now I can't say that I am loving the DS just yet but I am enjoying the different feeling I get from eating.

Ok so fight for what you want, I did have to fight the insurance company to get my DS. I wouldn't want a third surgery. Your insurace company will pay depending upon some factors but I am sure someone else will chime in to give you some better information.

Dr. K is off the hook, he completed my surgery in 2 hours and completed 4 on that day! All of us are doing well and up and moving. Anyway you couldnt ask for a better surgeon.

Sophia

Most Active