lab band removel and now i want the sleeve

msdiva4107
on 12/14/10 11:54 am
hello: i have had my band for 2yrs i had a slippage and had to have it removed in aug 2010 they tried to put it back in in nov 2010 but i had too much scar tissue. i would like to know if i can get the gastric sleeve done and has anyone had it done with scar tissue? if so how long did you have to wait. ?
mallrat
on 12/14/10 1:05 pm - St Peters, MO
I had 2 bands.  I had both removed due to slippage.  I had the sleeve done at the same time I had the second band removed.   There was a lot of scar tissue from the band, but they were able to do the reviision to the sleeve.   I think anytime you have a band and have it removed you are going to have scar tissue, especially around where the port was .   I was told at the time I had my second band removed, that they might not be able to do the sleeve and i might have to wait to have that done, but luckily that didnt happen.  I would discuss it with your surgeon and see if he thinks you are ready to get the sleeve. 
MARIA F.
on 12/17/10 12:00 pm - Athens, GA
Ladies please start going to the band forums and posting about your band experiences! Ppl researching the band need to know that things like this can not only occur...............BUT ARE EXTREMELY COMMON! We should make others on the band forum aware of these things so hopefully they choose a better WLS and don't have to go through the problems we have with the bands!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

_rebecca
on 12/15/10 12:13 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
If you can find a doctor that specializes in revisions, you should be able to get your sleeve without a problem.  The band always leaves scar tissue and the revision doctors know how to work around it.  Good Luck!
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/15/10 10:28 pm - Mexico
On December 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, msdiva4107 wrote:
hello: i have had my band for 2yrs i had a slippage and had to have it removed in aug 2010 they tried to put it back in in nov 2010 but i had too much scar tissue. i would like to know if i can get the gastric sleeve done and has anyone had it done with scar tissue? if so how long did you have to wait. ?

Every band person has scarring, it is the scarring/adhesions that hold your band in place long term.

It's really critical that you see a revision surgeon.  If that scarring isn't removed then they have to make a mega sleeve and that defeats the purpose of having one to begin with.  Regardless, your risk for leaks, perforation, and bleeding is triple since you have had a band so that is why it is sooo important to go to someone who knows how to remove the adhesions.

See why we keep saying on the band boards that bands are removable, not reversible.  This is exactly what we are talking about.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
BuckeyeGirl
on 12/20/10 11:54 am - TN
I had my band removal and sleeve surgeries performed at the same time.

Lindsey

Most Active