Anyone had their RouxNY just "retrimmed"

Texas_Saphire
on 12/14/10 12:27 am - McAllen, TX

Had gastric bypass in 2005. Had an endoscopy done and basically my pouch has obviously gotten larger.

Anyone just basically had their RouxNY "retrimmed"...not anyother revision procedure.

My doctor says basically everything works fine...i just restretched my pouch and is considering just trimming pouch and reconnecting intestine.

Thx!

MC

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/10 2:38 am
I had my bypass July 2008.  I had two endoscopes done and each shows the opening to my pouch being larger than it should, but my pouch is still small. 

I am scheduled to have my opening made smaller in February 2011.

Good luck with your decision.

Sherline
smcgee
on 12/17/10 5:56 am - Columbia , SC
What is an ERNY?.  My stoma too has stretched about 40 percent, was scheduled to have the Rose Procedure, actually had the procedure started on 12/14, when the surgeon got in said his "instruments were "too large" to fight the strecthed stoma....... said my pouch is about  very small, but becaue of the large opening, my food empties out too fast, causing weight gain.  I go to the doctor on the 22nd and at this time he will discuss other options, does anyone have any suggestions.

Life is what you make it
Sheila

MsBatt
on 12/21/10 6:11 am
ERNY stands for "extended" RNY---a really massive bypassing of small intestine. Vitalady has an ERNY, and she describes it as "the worst of both the RNY and the DS". Basically, you still have all the pouch issues to deal with, PLUS even more vitamin and mineral malabsorption of the DS.

Before I had an ERNY, I'd definitely explore a revision to a 'true' DS, complete with sleeved stomach.
candice2005
on 12/14/10 5:57 pm - Dallas, TX
Me too! I had my original bypass 1/3/08 and my Dr said the opening between my esophagus and pouch is a bit large. He preformed 2 sclera's on me and it didnt narrow it and he didnt offer me any revision options. He was like just be glad you lost 100 lbs but I had gained 20 lbs back and I still needed to loose 100 more. So I got a second opinion and he stated I had a hernia on my esophagus and my pouch is a tad bit larger so he is suppose to go in remove the hernia and trim the pouch a little. My surgery is today. 12/15/10.
100togo4me
on 12/16/10 3:16 am
My original surgeon did not use the word "retrimming", but in a sense, is advising what you described. My pouch is still reasonable, but neither as small as it was or particularly enlarged. The stoma and intestine are, however. My surgeon offered to revise the stoma and bypass a little more intestine, though he did not say how much. He indicated with some mumbling and handwaving that it would not be as much as associated with the ERNY. But as I am not comfortable with him performing surgery on me, I am seeking to travel out of state to revise my RNY to a DS/BPD. Morbid as it sounds though, I will take what I can get! Good luck!
Zee Starrlite
on 12/16/10 4:34 am
Smart!  Glad you felt uncomfortable about the trimming and almost revising to an ERNY.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active