RNY to VSG Revision

celticlassie
on 12/13/10 6:12 am - Garden Grove, CA
I have been on the boards reading for a month or so now.  I initially thought I was going to go for a DS but my BMI is not high enough to be covered by insurance.  I did try over the last few to gain some weight but by eating more managed to lose 2 lbs.
The more I read on this site it seems that the VSG might be the way to go for me, but of course I have questions and I am looking for answers. 

First would it even be of benefit to go from a RNY to VSG, is it possible? 

I don't even know if my insurance covers the sleeve or not, I would have to look into that also, I have starting on Jan 1st BCBS MI.
I never got to goal with my RNY, lost about 80lbs or so, now I am back up to 260lbs and looking to get rid of the weight for good.  I am nauseous with almost everything that I eat right now and it's been getting worse, so hoping to fix that.
Any info would be great!!
MsBatt
on 12/13/10 6:20 am
How much weight do you need to lose/what is your BMI? It's just as complicated to revise the RNY to the Sleeve as it is to revise it to the DS---the stomach part is the difficult part. And given that you're in CA, you can almost certainly appeal and get the DS.
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/10 10:24 am - Bayonne, NJ
If you aren't losing/keeping weight off with the RNY, you might not with the VSG. It offers restriction without any malabsorption. It's also the most difficult part of the RNY to DS revision - taking down the pouch and converting it to the sleeve. It is possible, that's true. I had it done as part of my DS. Honestly? If you're going to go for the revision, get the whole enchilada, get the DS, and lose the weight for good. I was 221 this time last year. I'm 163 now.

My BCBS paid for my revision, no problems.
Most Active