Questions re lapband to RNY

2FatintheOC
on 12/12/10 12:56 am
Hi all - I'm new here, and love to lurk, but have decided to come "out of the dark" because I have some questions I really need someone to answer.

I've had the lapband for 5 years, but have not done that well with it.  Due to reflux, a slip, and not much weight loss, I have decided to go forward with band removal and revision to RNY, as this is the only procedure my insurance will cover.

Truthfully, even though it has caused me alot of pain, I am scared to death to lose the restriction of the lap band.  Can someone tell me how the pouch of RNY compares to that of the lap band?  Will I be starving all the time?  I just envision myself wanting to eat everything in sight after surgery!  Will I still be barfing a lot?  Or am I simply replacing barfing with "dumping"?

I am a sweet/chocolate addict, so from what I have read RNY will be a good choice for me.  But I've also read not everyone dumps.  Then I went over to the WLS regrets board, and those people have stories that would curl your hair!!  Yikes!

Any advice/insight would be appreciated.  Thanks so much!
byebyeband
on 12/13/10 11:46 am - CA
Hi~
I had the band to RNY revision 3 weeks ago today!  I am already down 33 lbs from my highest, and 26 down from my preop liquid diet.  I had the band for 3.5 years, and only lost 30lbs.  I've already exceeded my band weight loss. 

I am not hungry AT ALL.  I know it is early still, but have to really set a timer to eat.  It is challenging to get in protein and liquids at this stage. 

I pb'd all the time w/ the band.  I did get sick once so far, only cause I drank too big of a sip...at a huge party I hosted, and had to puke really quick.  Much like a pb, but it wasn't too bad. 

I did exchange some pants this weekend for ones that fit THAT WERE 3 SIZES SMALLER than what I brought in.  I bought them in Sept and they were huge on me this weekend. 

As for sweets, I am hoping to steer clear for good.  I have to eat my Actigall and Biotin with sugar free pudding, and it gives me a "sweet" at the same time.  For now it works. 

I am SOOO happy I did this.  It is not easy, but for health reasons I am so glad.

I've worked out a few times already, and plan on making it a regular thing in the next few weeks.  I just need to get more protein in before I go full force at the gym (I worked out 4-5 x a week before the surgery, lifting weights and cardio). 

Good luck.

Pamela

kkaymathis
on 12/13/10 11:56 am - College Station, TX
I'm having the band to RNY on Thursday 12/16/10, and I am so excited. I have heard nothing but good things about my surgeon and I look forward to having better health.

I am having similar problems with my band, but my surgeon assured me that after the surgery there would still be some restriction. The best part was that I was already used to eating small amount with the band. So my mind is already trained to work with the surgery. So I'm ready to have the surgery and I will keep you updated on my success.

Oh, personally having the revision can be a better option than constant pain from reflux and the slipage if you are able to do so. Let me know how it goes.

If you want to be happy for life, love what you do.
Mary Higgins Clark

terilynn112
on 12/13/10 8:43 pm - maryland, NY
I'm also a band to RNY revision, in the making. My date is January 11, 2011. It's just time for this band to go.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Most Active