So glad I went from band to RNY

candie33
on 12/12/10 3:15 am
Thank you so much for posting this......I am having my revision surgery 12-28.  Yesterday I was feeling a little nervous about the surgery and a little overwhelmed about the protein and vit responsibilities. I am also doing mine over my holiday break and was wondering about the recovery time. My doc told me it could be from 1-week to 2. So I am hoping to bounce back just like you. I also love working out in the gym  and I want to tone my body while I lose.
texasbluebonnet
on 12/12/10 7:08 am, edited 12/12/10 7:09 am - Pflugerville, TX
Good to hear that you are doing so well. I had my revision surgery on 12/06. My Lapband surgery was 2005 in Germany. I had lost 150 pds with the band until 2007. After I had moved to the US in 2007 I started to gradually have problems. I had a hard time keeping food down, vomited more and more often and started to turn to food that went through easily. I was physically hungry because I felt like I could not eat any real food, it was a mess. On top of it, all the sweet stuff caused serious acid reflux problems.
After 3 years of dealing with it I finally decided that something needs to happen and I started to see Dr. Patel. He quickly figured out that my band was filled beyond the manufacturers recommendations for the highest fill. After he took just a little bit of fluid out I started to get better but now I could not feel any restriction at all anymore.
To make a long story short, during my revision surgery it turned out that not just did I have a huge hernia behind my esophagus but also was my band grown in to the stomach wall and erodet into my liver. So they had to remove a part of my liver to get it out.
I left the hospital on 12/08 and I am doing fine. I am on full liquid diet and although I am not a big fan of water, I manage to drink 64 oz per day plus 2 protein shakes, 2 glasses of milk and some broth.
I loved my and in the beginning and it probably saved my life but I am happy now that I no longer have it.
Most Active